6: Enigma

"Kid, you don't want to know who Enigma was." Ratchet said as we settled down in the main area of the base, the other Autobots and myself giving him a curious look.

"This is the first time I've heard of a bot named Enigma." Optimus said.

"And it's better if it remained that way." Ratchet huffed defensively. "Enigma was a Decepticon that rivaled the rest. Designed to kill any soldier that stood in his way. He was a monster."

"If there was a Decepticon that horrible," Bumblebee said. "We would have known about him, wouldn't we?"

"The reason you young bots don't know about Enigma was because he disappeared during the war." Ratchet said.

"So who was he?" I asked.

"Kid-"

"Who. Was. Enigma?" Ratchet and the others were surprised by how stern I was, their expressions almost appearing as if they were afraid of me.

"Enigma was... a bot without a conscience." Ratchet said. "A brutal soldier who has taken more lives than anyone else. A lot of battles that were won by the Decepticons were because of Enigma, but the credit was always taken by Megatron. A cold forged, cold fueled, cold sparked killer."

"Why would Starscream call Y/D Enigma then?" Bumblebee asked. "Hes norhing like that bot!" Ratchet stiffened at the question, and I knew then and there that he knew the answer.

"The cadaver that was used to make me," I said quietly as I looked up at Ratchet. "Was Enigma, wasn't it?"

"It... it was." Ratchet said barely above a whisper. "But none of us knew it at the time of your creation."

"I... I should be destroyed." I whispered as I scrunched up into a ball. "I should have been destroyed right when I was created! I should be destroyed right now!"

"Y/D," Ratchet said as he sat next to me on the makeshift sofa and pulled me into a hug. "Don't say stuff like that."

"But I'm a monster, Ratchet!" I sobbed. "I-i-I."

"Shhh, shhh." He hushed as he held me tighter. "You are not Enigma, you never were. Your spark is kind, and you mean well." He gently held the back of my helm and kissed the top of it like a sire would to comfort a sparkling. I ended up sobbing myself into recharge against the medic, and Ratchet gently moved me so I was lying on my side.

"Ratchet," Optimus said quietly. "If what you say is true, does that mean he can remember what Enigma did?"

"Unlikely." Ratchet said. "His memory core was purged before the cadaver that makes up his base form was found. Unless somehow a backup memory was created and remotely fed back into his processor, he shouldn't remember any of that old life."

-with the head of Megatron-

"So, the memory transfers are successful." Megatron muttered to himself as he accessed my recharging form. "But it seems I can only do this when his main consciousness is powered down. Poor little thing. Although... it would be useful to have another triple changer for the Decepticons. Especially one that is far more stable than that bumbling fool Blitzwing. But it seems I'll have some more work to do before any of my Decepticons finally bring him to me. Starting with reminding him of who he really is."

-with Y/D-

As I lay there in recharge, I had another dream, this one far more horrific and terrifying than any other.

I was in the middle of a battlefield all alone with swarms of Autobots desperately trying to take me down with a barrage of blaster fire only for me to dodge almost every shot as I attacked. My claws ripped bots nearly twice my size to absolute shreds, energon and oil flying in the air followed by the screams of snuffing sparks.

"WE CAN'T BRING HIM DOWN!" One of the Autobot commanders yelled only to get silenced by my claws.

"Leave no survivors." I muttered. "All Autobots shall be erased."

"CAPTAIN!" Another Autobot shouted just to get slaughtered by me. There was no stopping the carnage. There was no stopping the monster that I was.

When the last autobot on the battlefield fell to my claws, I stood alone drenched in energon and oil with an emotionless expression.

"Excellent work, Enigma." I heard Megatron say as he, Lugnut, and Starscream landed bot far from me.

"Enihalation of Autobot soldiers: 98.3%." I reported.

"You let some escape?!" Starscream snapped.

"1.7% predicted surviving Autobot forces. Current whereabouts: unknown." I said.

"It does not matter." Megatron said. "With the perfect war bot under my command, norhing will stand in my way from taking Cybertron for the Decepticons."

"Bah, if this Enigma project is so deadly, then why hasn't it destroyed the old senate yet?" Starscream huffed. Megatron grabbed Starscream and hoisted him up by the neck with a scowl.

"Because I didn't command it." He snarled. "Enigma is a weapon, not an assassin." Megatron tossed Starscream aside and focused his gaze on me. "But it may be time to use that weapon for a more... high valued target."

"And what target would that be, oh great Megatron?" Lugnut asked.

"Crystal City." He said. "The Autobots have the Allspark hidden there."

"Why bother with it?" Starscream rasped as he finally managed to get his voice box working again.

"Enigma wasn't just built to be an unstoppable force of pure, cold terror. He is capable of doing so much more."

"I... don't follow."

"With the Allspark, Enigma will become the ultimate weapon where not even Unicron himself could stop him."

"And what's to prevent him from betraying us?" Starscream hissed.

"He is programmed to have no remorse, you fool." Megatron growled. "He feels nothing. There are no thoughts, no emotions, no individuality. His will is mine and mine alone."

With those words, I awoke with a gasp, my frame jolting upright with coolant dripping down my forehelm like morning dew. My vents were strained, and my frame shook slightly, the sound alerting Ratchet from a nearby work station.

"Kid? You alright?" He asked.

"Just... just a bad dream." I said. "I'll be fine."

Little did I realize that, with the coming days, I was not going to be fine.