13: Breaking the Enigma

Blitzwing sat in his cell with a stoic expression, hiding the fact that deep down inside, he was absolutely terrified for me. He knows he can help. He knows how to dismantle the very thing that's hurting me. Yet, just like with Megatron, he wouldn't be able to.

He felt helpless.

"Blitzwing?" Ratchet said as he entered the brig.

"How is he?" Blitzwing asked.

"He's in Stasis Lock right now on spark support." Ratchet said with a pained expression. "His internal temperatures are... almost fatally high. His cooling systems can't keep up and... it's only a matter of time before his spark goes out."

"No..." Blitzwing whispered as he slumped on the floor, and, for the first time in a long time, he quietly began to weep. Fluid fell from his optics and to the floor, his spark practically shattering in his chassis. "Zis is all my fault..."

"It isn't."

"But it is!" Blitzwing snapped. "Shockwave and I were both key figures in the Enigma Program. And now? I'm responsible for what's happening to him." The then swapped to his Hothead persona, and his wings violently shook on his back as he tried to contain his anger. "AND ZAT STUPID ELITE GUARD FRAGGER WONT LET ME HELP!" He slammed his cuffed fists into the wall, leaving behind a massive dent. "Zey won't let me help, and now he's going to die because of me!"

"No, he won't." Ratchet said as he went to the cell control panel and lowered the barrier. He then freed Blitzwing from the stasis cuffs and motioned for him to follow, the now slightly puzzled mech following the medic to the med bay.

"Von't you be put in ze stockades for zis?" His Icy persona asked.

"Look, desperate times come desperate measures." Ratchet said. "And when it comes to...a bot, I consider a son. I'll do anything for him."

The pair entered the med bay, and Blitzwing could feel his spark drop to his tanks at the condition I was in. My colors were pale and almost completely gone, my optics were shut, my vents clicking with each strained intake of air assisted by spark support. I was on the verge of death.

"Blitzwing," Ratchet said, pulling the triple changer from his fixation to look at him. In the medic's servos was a cortical psychic patch cable in excellent condition. "I have this."

"Zis vill work." He said.

"What exactly does it do?" Ratchet asked. "I never had the chance to work with these."

"In essence, I will be able to enter his mind through this and hopefully be able to deactivate Enigma." Blitzwing said.

"What makes you think it will help?"

"Enigma was designed to be a superweapon, the perfect Decepticon." Blitzwing said. "But... despite me playing a role in its creation, I never knew vhat Megatron planned on doing with it."

"You didn't know anything? At all?"

"No, I simply created the battle protocols. I assumed he wanted a drone similar to the autotroopers." Blitzwing explained. "Primus, was I wrong."

"Why did you side with the Decepticons?" Ratchet asked.

"It seemed like the right thing to do at the time." Blitzwing said as he hooked up one end of the patch to the back of my helm. "But... when the war started to really heat up, Megatron showed his true colors. I tried to leave and go into hiding, but... Megatron found out and had me sent... sent to her."

"Who?"

"Blackarachnia." He shuddered. "She... she was the one who turned me from a flyer to a triple changer. And since then, i... I've been too afraid to challenge him or to run away until recently."