Chapter 1: Away from the Dark & Cold

Chapter 1: Away from Dark & Cold

She's a light, smothered in endless night
A fading flame, struggling just to survive

Her mother often said that the day of a woman's wedding is to be the happiest day of her life. Nesta didn't feel that way at all right now, and couldn't figure out why.

Morrigan was selecting the finest jewelry pieces for her and Elain did her silver and white make-up. "Red lips? It's a bit too bold, Nesta." Her sister scolded.

"I don't care. I like the red."

Her sister rolled her eyes and went to get the veil as Morrigan put her on a diamond choker necklace. It was a little too tight for comfort but looked lovely, so she beared it. "There we go, it's perfect."

Her reflection looked pristine, the white silk of her princess skirts was lovely, Nesta wasn't too sure of the sleeveless, white beaded corset but Feyre and Morrigan insisted Night fashion was far less modest. True to their word she couldn't find a dress that had long sleeves or even a higher neckline, so she settled for this one.

Her make-up was muted save for the lipstick and her hair was done up with her braid crown, Elain put the veil on her as she gazed at her reflection, barely seeing herself, but content with the results. That is, until she began to feel nauseated.

"Nesta? You want some tea?" Morrigan asked.

"Yes, I should drink something. The nerves are getting to me." She said as she headed for the door.

"Wait! I'll get it for you. It's your wedding day, you shouldn't work too hard!" Elain said as headed for the door.

"No, I'll get it. I need to walk a little so I can be calm. I'll be right back."

The girls let her go and she made a beeline for the bathroom, she lost her breakfast in the sink but thankfully her make-up wasn't ruined. She wouldn't hear the end of it if the slightest smudge was shown.

Nesta didn't expect to hear anyone near the kitchen. She thought Cassian and the boys were getting ready on the higher floors rather than here, but before she could continue on for her cup of tea she heard something that stopped her dead in her tracks.

"I believe you will make an excellent High King."

What. The. Fuck? Staying as silent as she could, she listened in to her fiancé's voice. "I can't wait to see it, a Prythian unified by the both of you will be amazing!"

Unified? No, no that's not what the High Kings and Queens did. They'd fought against one of each, at least that's what she knew. What she'd been told and lived through. Being a High King is what Hybern wanted, what Amrantha wanted but him, he was supposed to be the good guy. Rhysand wouldn't-

"I was unsure at first but it is true that we need order to take on Koschei. I'm going to give Prythian the ruler they deserve, and once I part I know Nyx will succeed me well."

No. No! Nyx was a newborn what need for a crown did the baby even have?! This had to be a joke, she had to be hearing it wrong. Feyre! Feyre would stop them! Right?

"We'll do this for Nyx. He'll grow up without the strife we've had to face. I just don't want any more bloodshed."

Nesta felt like she would throw up again. She couldn't comprehend just why her sister was now agreeing to what she once fought against...

'If I'm having a nightmare please let me wake up!'

"There's no need for bloodshed. If all 7 High Lord willingly bend the knee then you'll be High King and Queen without opposition."