Chapter 3: Silver Linings

I had a dream
I got everything I wanted
But when I wake up, I see
You with me

"I got everything I wanted, and now I'll live with the regret."

Nesta closed the book after finishing that last sentence. The last night of book club was underway and they'd finished their book trilogy at last.

Imogen was hugging Nemesis who was crying over the ending. Cedric also seemed sad and even Eris was no longer smiling.

"Tragic ending it is then..." He said.

Nesta nodded. The book series had began with a seamstress falling in love with the king of her land while she worked in his palace. The story changed in the second entry where she was separated from the king when the villainous emperor kidnapped her as a war prisoner. Cedric skipped half the scenes as this entry was 'spicier' and even Nesta who loved her smut books thought it was too much. By the finale the story looked to be a love triangle, and all of them hoped the seamstress would chose the king but the emperor ceased war for her sake still. That didn't happen, for throught the last book in the series the sweet seamstress turned cruel and greedy and let her first love die by the hand of the second, becoming empress and continuing the war of conquest she wished to end in the first book. Only in the end as she sat in a throne of bones and jewels did she realize her mistake and the last line was spoken.

"This was an utter waste of time!" Nemesis groaned as he laid on the floor defeated. "Justice for King Fionn! He should come back from the dead and kill everyone!"

"I never thought I'd say this but I agree with Nemesis. Though maybe Tamara will correct her mistakes in the next series? If she's showing regret she could try and change." Cedric suggested.

"Too little too late when you burn a whole kingdom to the ground and destroy the best man!"

"You are so whipped for blonde men." Eris told his brother. "I'd like a redemption too, but she'd have to work for it. The Emperor should die even if he gives good head."

"Well that's a specific sentence." Imogen said blushing and closing her book.

Nesta chuckled at the emotional reactions of the Vanserra's. She too was angry by the tragic end but this was not over yet, there was another series to go, and she could still hope for better, in books at least.

The story reminded her a little too much of a familiar situation, of her youngest sister and the current events. Imogen seemed to notice and sat beside her, letting her head fall on her shoulder. "It's not over, until it's over. Chin up, sweetie."

"Mama's right. We can just write up a new emding! I'll get the ink!"

"Really Nemesis?! You know we can't write a story in a day and our time is limited!"

Imogen had recieved word from a friend in the Day court that the inner circle was looking for Nesta. Eris wrote back to Lucien and would be sending workers to Spring as soon as he was given the okay. Which meant that soon enough Nesta would go there to stay safe.

"Actually, we could make a chapter at least." Nesta said. "Think up of what you want to do when I come back. Then we can keep writing."

They all smiled and got to work, she noticed Eris was particularly close to her side as they wrote, wishing she could stay.

Nesta wished for the same.

***
"I tried to keep my feelings buried. At times everything was too close, too quick, too painful, other times I was detached when I should've held tighter. Maybe I should've helped Eris take care of us more, but in the end it seemed as if all I did was burden everyone regardless of my engagement."