Chapter 9: Judgement Day

Silent night, let me sleep away these memories within
Sacrifices of purity are turning into sins
And this judgement day is growing near
And this confession is killing me again!

Will you be there by my grave
Or will you be the death of me?
My beautiful tragedy...

Nesta had remained in the mansion with Jurian and Vassa since the death of Elias. The funeral had been grand and almost the entire kingdom attended, she was thankful for glamours then. No one knew who she was, even if she recognized some people from the days when she was human. Seeing Graysen in particular did hit her hard. The man was not happy, he probably wouldn't be happy for a while if he was still missing Elain.

'Don't waste your time and forget her. She's already forgotten you.'

Here in the grassy yard she could sit and think. There was a lot to think about. 

In January she was set to be married, and while Nesta had been lucky enough to get a glimpse of what awaited her and ran it was October now yet a part of her was still terrified of what would've happened if she'd stayed.

If she never heard of the High King plans and relayed them, would the other Courts be prepared? If she'd never gone to Autumn would Beron still be tormenting them all? If she never came here, would she have healed?

That last one was answered quickly as she thought of the man they recently lost. 'No. I wouldn't have healed. I'd be another mindless drone of his trying to get him a continent when he can't even handle a city!'

She sighed, silently thanking Elias and her other friends for breaking the grasp those people had on her. She was free and she was happy, they wouldn't take that away anymore.

"Hey, want some company?" Jurian asked.

"Sure. How are you both doing?"

"Vassa wanted to be alone to cry. I'm doing better but can't bring myself to even look at sweets."

Yes sweets, even Priya was hesitant to make them but she still did so for the children's sake. She should go visit her friend soon. Despite no longer being the eldest Contreras child in the house, she still took her big sister role seriously. 'Seems like I'm the only one who passed on that.'

"I think I'm done crying, but will probably never be done missing him."

"Me neither. That man was a saint...Tamlin said he saw him leave with his wife. We can take comfort in that."

Jurian smiled. "Yeah, I kinda wish I'd met her. She seemed like a delight too. Shame we keep losing the good ones."

"We won't. We won't lose the good ones anymore. This'll be over soon."

"You say that, and I have no reason to doubt you Ness, but you...You didn't see Rhysand in the battlefield all those centuries ago. He can be quite terrifying."

"I didn't consider that. Good thing he was on our side."

The general raised an eyebrow. "No...He was neutral until it was certain the human side would win. Night joined the fray after Autumn."