02

K A T

I saw Noah later that day. His golden blonde hair was in a quiff, hanging as high as it could. He didn't look attractive just like he didn't on any given day, but I definitely did not voice that.

I'd been pretending to be head over heels for Noah this whole year. Why? Because it gave me popularity. I know, that's not a good thing to admit to, but before Noah even looked my way I was considered a nerd. I was bullied. And now I was the 3rd hottest girl in senior year, according to a poll.

Anyway, Noah didn't seem too happy with me for some unapparent reason. He greeted me with a, "Hi," and slammed his locker shut besides me. When he realized he was missing something, he opened it back up again.

"What's the deal?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Noah glared me in the eye. "Our football team just lost our championship game, thanks to Noel." he fumed. I tried not to smile knowing that Noel was at fault.

"What'd he do this time?" I asked, amused.

Noah just replaced his things in his locker with his keys in his hand. "He had the opportunity to make the winning touchdown." he explained. "And he tripped and fell. It was wide open!"

"So you're mad at him." I assumed, and shut his locker for him. On the inside I was cheering that he had faced another loss in the season. Words couldn't describe how much I disliked Noah.

"More than mad." he said. "I'm pissed. I'm never talking to Noel again."

My eyes widened. It couldn't have meant that much. "Why so harsh?" I asked sheepishly. Noah just shook his head in disbelief.

"My parents had a pool party down at the lake house planned out for when we won. They had bought a trophy case. And Noel just blew it!"

As soon as he yelled, thunder could be heard rolling in the distance. Noah was supposed to be my ride home today, since Caitlyn was going home with Benny tonight. After all, it was Friday.

"Calm down." I frowned. "You'll win another time."

I could tell this made him angry because he yelled, "Calm down?! I can never win again so long is Noel is on my team!" he paused. "All you want is to make me happy and make me look good but you're just adding to the list of annoying things that I have to deal with, damnit!"

I was taken aback by his words, and before I could even respond he stormed down the hallway. The bell rang out, and high schoolers flooded the halls.

Great. I was so, totally, screwed.

There were no after school activities on Fridays, so the office would be closing sooner than usual. And that meant lights out.

Which also meant I would have to walk alone in the rain.

I waited for everyone to clear, and I just stood in the middle of the hallway alone. I wanted to break down and cry, but I don't think that's something that the 3rd hottest girl in senior year would do.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone come up relatively close to me and hang up a poser. I looked only to see that it said:

Prom!
theme: red carpet
time: in three weeks!
price: $80
GUYS ASK GIRLS

I frowned to myself. This was the event that I had been dreading all year. It was closer, approaching faster than I thought it would.

"Thinking about something?" a curious voice said, and when I looked up I saw it was none other than Harry.

His familiar face made me smile, and I fiddled with the house keys between my fingers out of nervousness. I don't know why I felt this way around him. I just did.

"No. I'm just wondering how I'm gonna get home." I blurted out. Harry looked at me with worry.

"Why?"

"My boyfriend was supposed to be my ride." I said to him. "I think he just dumped me. Either way, I don't have a ride."

Harry frowned. "That's no good. I'll drive you home."

My heart was racing a thousand miles a minute by now. If things were awkward then, they sure were awkward now. "You don't have to, Harry really--"

"Stop." he quickly interjected. "I can drive you, its no big problem. What area do you live in?"

"Rosewood." I said. "About ten minutes away from here."

Harry half grinned. "Then that should not be a problem, huh? We should get going before the rain gets too bad out there."

I nodded in agreement. As much as I didn't like the tensity between us, I knew I needed a ride home or I would have found myself walking.

So here I was, about to get in a car with Harry Styles.

On his first day, would I never had seen this coming.