08

K A T

The first half of the next day I spent with Caitlyn, trying to figure out what to wear.

I chose a salmon dress and black heels, and wore my hair in a messy ponytail with a cheetah print bow. It was a drastic change to the style I usually wore, jeans and converse, but I still felt comfortable in it.

"Now all we have to do is wait for Harry to come." Caitlyn said, but she didn't sound quite as excited as I was. Maybe she was still hung on not trusting him. Either way, I wasn't going to let that ruin tonight.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" she asked worriedly. "I won't stay with you the whole time, I could just--"

"No, Cait." I said curtly, putting my earrings in and digging through my makeup drawer. "I know what you're trying to do and it's not working. Harry is a nice guy."

"But you don't know what he did at his old school." she murmured lowly, and I snapped my head around to face her.

I raised an eyebrow. "And you do?"

I could tell she wanted to say something but no words came out. That had me worried, and I began to think that maybe she did know and she was holding it from me for a very bad reason.

Nonetheless, soon my makeup was finished and I was wearing all my jewelry and everything. I was officially ready, and officially nervous. It seemed like I had no time to mentally prep myself before my mom opened the bedroom door and told me that Harry was here.

Caitlyn and I walked downstairs, only to come downstairs and see Harry in a button down shirt and black skinny jeans, with brown boots. The first few buttons of his shirt were loose, giving a sneak peak of his exotic butterfly tattoo that I had only seen that one time in the locker room.

"Wow." Harry smiled at me and looked at me from head to toe. "You look... different. In a very good way."

From behind me, my parents smiled. I didn't expect my dad to, but he supported me hanging out with Harry.

"We're just friends, mom." I laughed and waited for Harry to confirm, but he just stood there and smiled at my parents.

"Well, you two better get on your way." Dad said, wearing his authoritative smile. "Harry, have her home by 1am, okay?"

"Yes sir." he said, grabbing my hand and leading me on my way out the door. "You guys have a nice night."

"You too." they all said in unison, and their smiling faces were the last thing I saw before the door was shut and I was faced with the cool spring air.

"It's nice out." Harry said as we walked to his car. I remembered it to be a black corvette, and it was parked just a little farther down the block. "It's still light."

I nodded in agreement. "Thank you for picking me up, Harry. You're always there to give me a ride."

"That's what friends are for, right?" he asked, and before we knew it we were standing beside his car.

*

It was about an hour drive to the lake house, but when we got there it was obviously worth the drive. Music could be heard from the parking area and a bouncer stood, taking names of everyone who walked in.

"Name?" he asked me, his intimidating glasses reflecting what little sunlight was left.

"Katrina Weber." I answered. "And a plus one."

"In." he said, like he was a robot processed to only way certain words and nothing more. Harry clutched my hand a bit firmer and we walked in together, where everyone was dancing to the music.