27

K A T

We got to Harry's house and my palms were sweating. I was powerless, I couldn't do anything to stop this reunion or what it would bring. I was completely and utterly worried.

"This it?" Zayn asked, so nonchalant like we weren't at his old fellow gang member's house. I didn't know exactly how to feel.

I just nodded. "This is it. I'll text him to come out."

"Hurry up." he said eagerly. "Louis isn't going to be too happy when I tell him he's late."

My stomach twisted in a knot. "Late? For what?"

"Meeting." he said sternly.

"About what?"

"That's not any of your business." he snapped at me. That was a dead giveaway that they were going to talk about how to dispose of me.

As unimportant as I was, you'd think it would be a quick task. No four step plan, no faking love, just a simple shot to the head in an ally at midnight.

And also, it was Monday. Was Harry really going to miss school for this? I was almost late myself.

Before I could even text Harry, he opened the door with a shocked look on his face-- already dressed for school.

"K-Kat?" he stuttered, stepping down the porch steps. "Why are you here with..." he rubbed his eyes, "Zayn?"

He nodded, a faint smile on his face. "It's been a while Harry."

Me, stuck in the middle of this and worrying about being late to school, joined Harry on the porch.

"Zayn wanted to tell you that you're very late." I said, eyeing the familiar boy but my arms locked around Harry in a protective manner. "For a meeting."

Harry tussled with his hair, his eyes on Zayn as well. I was definitely not loving the vibe that I was getting with these two being together.

"You know you have to come." Zayn frowned, as if he believed that Harry was ready to back out for good. I knew that was anything but. "Or else there will be consequences."

Harry clenched his teeth and his grip around my waist tightened. I loved the protective and intimidating side to Harry. It made me feel safe.

"Zayn, you know I'm there for every meeting." he said, a sense of hostility to his tone. "And there is not one today. So why are you really here?"

My blood boiled at the thought of Zayn lying so easily to me. He probably fell under the assumption that I was the most gullible girl out there.

Zayn gave Harry a long, hard glare. "I want to help you."

Harry seemed completely and utterly in shock by Zayn's words. So was I. "Help with what?" he played on like he had no idea what Zayn was talking about.

The hazel eyed boy just rolled his eyes, turning on his heel. "Have it your way." he grumbled, but his attitude sounded like he could care less.

Just as I thought Harry was about to let him walk away, as he should have, he called for him. "Wait." he said, "How should we trust you?"

"Julia." was all he said, and he hopped on his motorcycle before speeding down the street and around the corner.

I didn't know what to say; I was speechless.

"How does that prove you can trust him?" I asked, confused. Harry still had his arm around my as he guided me into his house.

He shut the door behind him and swallowed hard. There was obviously something he didn't want to tell me, because he suddenly found his leather boots very interesting. "Zayn knows about Julia."

"So?" My hands found their way to my hips and Harry released his grip on me. "I know about her too. Plus, he was in the gang."

Harry shook his head. "He knows the truth."

My heart fell into my stomach. Had Harry told me another lie? I wasn't sure how many of these I could take. I was starting not to trust him as much as I used to.

"What's the truth then, Harry?"

He sighed and cupped my face with his palms. I fought the ultimate urge to slap his hands away and demand the truth. But I couldn't do that. I liked Harry took much to do that.

"I didn't kill Julia." he frowned. "Liam did. And he let me take the credit because he knew that I didn't want to do it myself."

I let out a sigh of relief. At least it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. At first I had believed that Julia was still out there, alive. That would've been the biggest plot twist; I wouldn't be able to wrap my mind around it.

I smiled and kissed him on the cheek, not feeling as nervous as I had before. He smiled back lazily. "That's not bad, Harry. In fact, that makes it better. You never murdered anyone, right?"

He grinned like a dork. "Right." he confirmed, and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. "So I wasn't lying to you when I told you that I hadn't when we were at school."

That made me smile even more. So truly, had Harry ever lied to me? I couldn't remember a time that he had. All he had done was withdraw the truth, and I was glad because that protected me as long as I did not know.

I gave him a tight hug. "Can you drive me to school?"

He kissed me full on the lips, like he had in his room on Sunday. Every time he did that, butterflies took flight in my stomach, like they were migrating somewhere remotely inside of me.

"Of course, darling." he said softly, his words dissipating into the air as soon as they were said. "I can drive you around in my dad's new BMW."

I blushed at the thought. We sure would look like a power couple, hopping out of an expensive car in the school parking lot. Dating Harry made these unimaginable things possible.

"Sure." I giggled, my spirit suddenly light and bubbly. Everything felt like it was in place, except it was actually the opposite. That I was okay with.

Harry grabbed his things and we headed out after saying goodbye to his family, and he texted a friend before starting the engine.

"Who's that?" I asked playfully, pulling down the passenger mirror and applying my soft pink lipstick. Harry just looked at me with admiration and gripped the steering wheel.

"No one, Kat." his genuine words said. "Its nothing to worry about, my love."

My heart fluttered at his words, and it made me too distracted to even pay attention to his phone conversation.

We took off and set for my house so I could get my backpack and check to see if Kimberly had left for school yet, since it was her first day today.

Halfway through the drive, a trouble stirred in my stomach when I saw Harry's screen illuminate with a notification. It read,

from: Zayn
when do I start mate ? good to be back at it again ! (: x

*

harry shady af smh