43

K A T

Thursday went by without much happening, and I survived a whole day without Harry. Yay. Go me.

Maybe the point of this torture was to prove that Harry and I could stand being away from each other, no matter how bad we wanted to say that we couldn't.

Well, whoever was trying to prove that was wrong.

I sent multiple texts to Harry, hoping my luck would come into play and he would answer. But he never did.

By Friday night, I was fed up with the silence between us. For all I knew he was bored to death in his room, eating bologna sandwiches and watching cartoons he had never liked in the first place.

It was about midnight when I asked Kimberly for help.

She was still awake, standing in the kitchen and making the usual Friday night milkshake. A can of lemonade was at her side.

"Hey." I greeted her and she just bobbed her head in response. "Where'd you get that lemonade?"

"Uncle Mel." she stated. "Well, your uncle Mel."

It was a wonder how she had gotten one but I hadn't. Mel didn't even know that she existed, so how did she get one before me? I brushed it off; I had bigger things to worry about.

"Can you help me with something?" I asked and quickly swiped the lemonade from her without her noticing.

She turned to face me and gave me a confused look. "Depends. With what?"

"Can you make about five tuna fish sandwiches, get me four more lemonades, and let me borrow your boom box and and a picnic sandwich?"

"Uh.... why?"

She glanced down and when she noticed that the lemonade was missing, her hands flew to her hips.

"Give it back." she said coldly.

I shook my head. "Not until you agree to help me."

"Why?" she whined, "I just need that so I can make a lemonade milkshake!"

"Lemonade milkshake?" I asked, handing her the can. "I've never heard of that. It sounds nasty."

She laughed and rolled her eyes jokingly. "I'll help you. Only if you tell me why you're doing this."

I tapped my finger on my chin. "This is going to sound really cliche."

~

We showed up at Harry's around one in the morning, and I knew he would still be awake-- even if he had nothing to do.

He wasn't an insomniac, that was for sure-- but he did have trouble going to sleep at times. Even in the calmest of situations. And that's what I was counting on.

"Just stay parked here." I whispered to Kimberly and grabbed the picnic basket before slowly shutting the car door and sneaking into their backyard.

Just like I had remembered, a ladder went up to the roof but also towered right by Harry's sliding door balcony. The perfect entrance.

I started to play the cheesiest, romantic music I could, and began my dangerous climb up the ladder with both a picnic basket and a boom box in my hand.