50

K A T

An ambulance came and Harry and I were loaded onto separate gurneys; the doctors discovering injuries I didn't realize I had until then.

My mind felt like it was in a haze. None of what had just happened felt real. A girl coming from the dead? Harry almost getting killed? And most importantly, me killing two human beings? Even if it was in self defense I was afraid for what the police had to say about it.

To my surprise, the ambulance let out a loud siren as we sped down god-knows what streets. Harry looked at me with wide and curious eyes, his restrained body looking at all the materials used to aid life threatening conditionings.

"Thank goodness I don't need one of those." he finally said, signaling to a respirator. I nodded in agreement, finally feeling at peace for once.

This was all over. Finally.

Zayn, who was riding alongside us in the tight space that was left, chuckled. "And after this we're getting that beer you promised me."

I laughed and so did Harry. "Totally."

There was a moment of silence, with the obnoxious siren as an exception.

"Thank you Kat." Harry finally broke the silence. "You saved me from death by Louis." he joked.

I smiled, even though I knew that wasn't exactly true. "Actually, Julia did." I said. "I'm pretty sure she snapped his neck."

Despite his position, Harry cringed. "That sound was not something I would like to hear again."

I sighed, thinking about all that had happened tonight in hindsight. "I wonder what my parents would think if they knew why they have to come to the hospital and see me."

"Well, we saved the city from a gang." Harry said, not much though to his words. Although, he was right.

Very right, actually. With just three people we had managed to muster the power to take down an entire gang. That was definitely not something you see every day.

Soon enough the vehicle came to a stop and Harry and I were wheeled out. When we got into the emergency room, our gurneys were laid beside each other's, making us seem inseparable. Harry's restraints were taken off and a pillow allowed him to be propped up. Zayn stayed in the waiting room.

"You don't know how grateful I am for you, Kit Kat." he cooed, his lips curling upwards to make a heart shaped smile that made my heart warm at the sight.

Still I couldn't find the will to accept that. I hadn't done much, and what I did do I wasn't too proud of. "I'm thankful for you, too. You've always been there to protect me."

Harry sat there, smiling off into the distance. He was so attractive. "That's my job. To protect what's most important to me."

There was no way that I deserved Harry.

By the end of the night, Harry got a bandage wrap around his foot and his hand that had been shot was checked up on for infections. The tissue in his nose had been damaged, so he wore something to help mold it back into place.

The bullet grazed the top of his foot, so the doctors assumed he would have no problem putting weight on it.

His face had minor cuts, so those were cleaned up with alcohol (which was painful to watch) and it looked like the punches and kicks had never happened.

Except for the fact that one of the blows had bruised one of his ribs and he needed to be on rest and needed a wheelchair.

I didn't want to see him like this, but it was better than not seeing him at all. I was thankful he made it out alive and somewhat well.

As for me, I had no major damage. A bruised hip and some small cuts from my fall.

We were both very, really lucky.

We stayed overnight for observation but the next morning we were discharged.

Harry, his usual cute self, was extra cute in a wheelchair. He had me push him, yelling "whee" every time I pushed a bit faster. It was adorable.

"Are you ready for Friday night?" he asked after I helped him into the passenger side, and I gave him a questioned look before loading his wheelchair into the trunk of the car.

I sat in the driver's side and started the engine. "What's Friday night?" I asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

"Oh!" he chimed, smacking his forehead and letting out a soft giggle. "Shit, I forgot to ask you out on a date. Want to go on a date with me Friday?"

I hated to admit it, but that was just really, really cute.

"Of course, silly." I laughed and pulled out of the parking lot.

*

I dropped Harry off at his home, where I was greeted by Anne, Gem, and Des. And also, apparently they had gotten a new family member because a black puppy was jumping up my leg, offering to play.

"Who's this?" I asked with a laugh as he pawed up my legs. I grabbed his paws and helped him stand on his hind ones. He must've really liked to play.

Gem walked over and held her hand out to the dog. It rushed over and started scratching at her playfully. How cute. "This is Bear." she introduced, and Bear barked in response as if acknowledging his own name. "He's a pug."

Harry seemed happy and content with that, as he wasted no time in wheeling himself over to greet the dog. Gem let him hold Bear and Harry seemed more than happy; like he was holding his child.

"He's cute. When did you get him, mum?" he asked.

Anne answered, "Last night, while you were in the hospital." she paused and glared at Des. "Your father here thought that it would be a nice idea to treat you to this hard time with all these gangs and people out to get you with something you've always wanted."

Harry smiled in adoration. I wish my parents would even imagine doing something like this for me. "Thank you, mum. You're the absolute best."

"Yeah," Gem agreed. "The absolute best at spoiling Harry and not me!" she whined and everyone laughed, me included.

"I think I should get going, then." I said. Everyone seemed sad to hear that, Harry especially. "To tell my family that I'm alright."

"Wait." Des said calmly, looking around skeptically. "Harry can spend the night with you tonight. I trust you. Just don't do anything stupid, okay?"

Harry nodded.

"And take Bear with you." Anne added. Gem looked at her like she was crazy.

"What?!" she exclaimed. "I love him and all, but he sheds everywhere without giving me time to recover and clean it all up. It's a filthy mess around here and it needs fixing."

Harry laughed and rolled his eyes. "I'm sure Kat's parents won't mind, right love?"

My heart fluttered at his careful words, making it hard to find the right words to say. "Y-yes." I said hesitantly. "They won't mind."

"Okay, then it's set in stone." Anne said with a wide smile. "Harry, how about you go upstairs and you and him can pack your things?"

I nodded. "Sure. I'm down for that."

Gemma grinned from ear to ear. "I'll get Bear's food and cage ready."

"Bring him back in one piece, now." Des said to Harry, and it looked like he was half kidding. "That dog was five hundred and he's already growing on me. Take care of Bear."

"That rhymes." he chuckled lightly, but then his face became neutral when he realized Des was serious. "Okay."

Harry and I walked upstairs happily and with a struggle to get his things ready, and for once everything felt right in my life.