16

K A T

"This is why you never earned my trust, Harry." I hissed. This is why no one ever earns it easily. But apparently that's not enough of a defense mechanism for me."

He reached his arm out for me but I slapped it away. "Ka--"

"Don't!" I screamed, scooting as far away from him as possible. "I trusted you and you were playing me! Why?"

"That's not something I'm proud of," he started, and I could tell alibi wouldn't be worth my time. I was done. I was sick and tired and everyone being out to get me. If I had never said hi back to him on the first day of school, I wouldn't have been here.

Just before he could start talking again, the doorknob started to turn. My heart began to race and I couldn't think straight.

"Quick." Harry whispered. When the door opens, kick him in the shin and make a run for it. You'll be fine. Just go."

I chuckled quietly. "I have no problem with leaving you here, Harry."

I inched myself over to the door and once it was flung open, I kicked the man in the ankle and bolted out the room. He was on the floor when I looked back, and Harry's gravely expression was the last thing I saw before the door slammed shut.

Hopefully, no one else was in the house, because I was running like a mad woman down the corridors.

Just as I was at home stretch, a gunshot rang out-- which made me lose my footing and tumble to the ground. I couldn't even get back up, because my shoe had been caught in a loose floorboard.

"Somebody help!" I yelled, hoping someone outside the house would hear me. But no one came to my aid. "Help me, please! He's going to kill me!"

I couldn't turn around because of my position, and hearing footsteps coming down the stairs didn't make it any better.

"Somebody please!" I hollered, but the footsteps had already stopped right behind me. It was too late.

The mysterious figure pulled my leg free, and afterwards I was expecting to be knocked out or given the rag. But I turned around to see Harry-- with a bloody arm.

"You wouldn't hesitate in letting me die, huh?" he asked smugly. "Well guess who just saved you from death by Louis?"

I was confused, but still angry. All I knew was that Louis had a gun, and he must've not hesitated to shoot Harry. That meant I was in a very dangerous place.

Well, we were.

And mad at Harry or not, he indirectly saved my life. So I had to help him out.

"Come on." I said lowly. "We need to get out of here and get you to a hospital."

"Kat, it's fine." he grunted, and I realized he had a small limp when we were walking towards the front door.

"Did he hurt your legs too?" I asked.

Harry just shook his head and continued on. "You don't care about me, remember?"

I didn't say anything.

Soon we were greeted by the fresh crisp air, which also awakened my nostrils to the sickening smell of Harry's fresh, gushing blood. He was going to bleed out if he didn't get help. And I would never forgive myself for that.

"Let's get to you the Eastern pavilion." I said to Harry. "Whether I care about you or not."

*

It turned out that from the gunshot wound, Harry needed stitches on his left arm. He also got a cast, because the bullet ripped right through his bone and managed to snap it in half. Lucky it didn't hit an artery.

His leg was fine, but badly bruised. Apparently, Zayn had kicked him in the shin.

Yeah, that's right-- Zayn. Turns out he's from the same gang that Harry used to belong to, and he was the one that was holding us hostage. The one from my dream.

"I'm telling you, this dream-- nightmare, means something." I tried to convince Harry when we walked out of the hospital as he was being released. "It took place at prom. Maybe neither of us should go, just to be safe."

He pursed his lips. "You don't know the first thing about safe."

His words enraged me. "Me? Not knowing about safe?" I scoffed. "If anyone doesn't know the meaning, it's you. At least I didn't get involved with a gang because someone I cared about was in it too!"

He stayed silent. "You did get involved."

"But I don't care about you." I spat. "Not anymore. Not after I found out that you were only using me. And I still don't know why."

He looked down at the concrete. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to know, but it looked like I was about to get answers regardless.

He let out a sigh and said, "Come with me."