↳˗ˏˋtwelveˊˎ˗ ↴

the house phone buzzed in courtney's kitchen and she rolled her eyes and walked upstairs.

the ringing continued until cody walked over, since it was interrupting his game.

as soon as cody picked up the phone duncan's voice was heard, 'courtney, you there?''

'listen, i know i made a mistake but i've been doing some thinking—and i think if you just-'

'stop calling, asshole.' the young brunette said as he smiled mischievously.

'look court, if you just let me explain ill take you and—'

'wrong number.' cody says and slams the phone back onto the dialer, feeling proud of himself.

courtney walked into the kitchen as he finished and opened the refrigerator, 'fridge is kinda empty, i think im gonna go to the store later if you need anything.'

'sounds good.' the younger boy replied.

courtney was painting in the basement as her father was watching her, 'did you know that some people think being a pool man is not a very respectable way to earn a living?' her dad asked.

'people suck, dad.' the brunette replied, bluntly.

'i just don't get it, personally..' her dad went on, 'i own my own company, my own home, i put food on the table-'

'granted, that you and cody help out, we're like a team.'

'but sometime i think this whole helping team thing is helping to create a confusion..like who the real parent is around here.'

courtney squinted her eyes, 'what do you mean, dad?-'

'well you know i appreciate everything you do , pumpkin nose..but it's just, sometimes i think you take on too much.' her dad replied, 'you don't have to deal with the business of being a kid.'

courtney sighed, this was gonna be another long lecture.

'i can't imagine being 17 is easy, especially with your mom not around-' mr.satella sighed, 'im just afraid that if you keep putting your life like this, you'll wake up 87 something years old looking for your teeth on your porch.'

courtney scoffed, 'thanks dad..that was graphic.'

her dad smiled and looked at this watch, 'say, don't you have a — a prom to go to tonight?'

'nah, im not going.'

'oh, you're not?' her father asked, 'what, you got laundry to do or something?'

'worse, i don't have a date.'

her dad furrowed his eyebrows, 'no date? well that's weird because, im pretty sure there's a handsome young man actually upstairs at the front door waiting for you now.'

courtney sprung up, was duncan back? she wanted to be stubborn and hate him but also she knew one deep dark part of her wanted him at her doorstep.

'oh and courtney,' her dad stopped her as she looked back from the stairs, 'have fun, and for you. not for someone else.'

she smiled and ran upstairs.

i know this is short but the books getting close to the end so😭