A Flower in the Snow

Sometimes the darkness grows, and light is the only thing we crave. But sometimes accepting darkness, and falling asleep, is the only way to wake up to light.

A flower in the snow is a well crafted, and serviceable story as it is now. Personally, it is not my cup of tea, but I still found plenty to enjoy about it. It is a bleak, suffocating story that really dives into abuse and dark themes. However, this does not stop the book from being very fresh and providing a good story. 

I think that to me, the power system at play was really just for the purposes of supporting the story rather than being consistent in the logic of the world. 

The author sets up a lovely dynamic between the two main characters, Lee and Aaron, where Aarons powers to see into the person's emotions compliments nicely with the situation Lee is in, where all she wants is to have been able to help someone whose emotions were hidden from her.

Aaron is a very passive MC, hes a reactionary type character that lets the world happen around him, and the time he does act out it leads to him killing someone in desperation to go to school. The character is a bit weird, because he is mild but is mostly formed around other people and only gets a personality towards the end due to the abuse hes subjected under.

I don't have many thoughts on it, because while there aren't really any mistakes I've seen, there really is only an interesting set up at the moment. There are chapters where most of it is truly only dialogue, and the descriptions for the scenes were, for lack of a better term, bland. I didn't feel like they were really exploring how the emotion power works, how it makes the character's body react in depth, etc. For instance, in the first chapter the main character looks into a multitude of peoples feelings and just feels what they feel. While yes, they go into the backstory behind those feelings, it doesn't really describe a picture as to what this experience means. An example of a sentence here would be:

"My head spins as I feel the woman's anger and frustration rise inside me towards the husband who hurt her"

When instead I think it could be something like:

"I whisk my gaze into the eyes of a woman, and immediately I feel her emotions begin broiling from my stomach. It was a burning anger, so hot and vile I could feel it on the back of my tongue, it roiled in the bottoms of my ribcage, and immediately thoughts of a husband wringing my neck were plastered on the back of my eyelids like unwanted posters on an alleyway wall."

I feel like this not only 

A. Creates a more vibrant and colorful picture of what happens when his powers activate, but also gives us a reason as to why it's so uncomfortable and why he hates it. So much is now inherently gleaned from this.

and 

B. Is just a more fun read in my opinion, and would be more engaging.

To me, I feel like more time should have been taken in crafting the images in the book. The ideas are great, the characters are great, and the story is great. The execution, however, left me a bit dissatisfied.    

Areeba019 clearly put a lot of time and effort into the book, and I think with a bit more time and a little more creativity in the way they describe scenes, it would truly be great.

Aesthetics: 5/10

Plot: 9/10

Grammar: 10/10

Total Score: 7.6/10

This has been IfWeAllFell, signing off.

Onto the next one 9.9