As It Seems

This book is a type of book called "Constrained Writing"

For those unaware, Constrained writing is a term used to describe writing that has restrictions on it, either for artistic purposes to create patterns or just for fun. Sometimes Constrained writing is used for a reason, such as in dictionaries and in works used to teach children or to teach the English language.

Constrained writing is also often used to quickly improve your writing skill. So, I have a challenge for anyone who makes it to this part of the review book.

Re-write this story using the same plot points and characters. Go to @Ash021164 page and read his book and Author's note, then come back and tag him in a comment here. You cannot deviate off of the plot, you can only add to it. You can only add characters, and you have to use the characters he has given you in this work.

Because this is a form of Constrained writing and Ash seems pretty unhappy with this work, I will only be talking about the positives of the work in this first section, which I found the most compelling.

The way he formatted the book was quite creative, using the dates to create pace was super fun and unique. I've read a couple other books, but it's an effective way to add a sense of urgency.

The characters are also fun, and they're introduced in a more graphic way than other books i've read. The whole book was written in a day it seems, and it was his first independent work, so I'm impressed with the use of tropes in a proper was and the unique introduction to the characters.

His dialogue is great. It flows so nicely, and its really natural.

The plot was a plot! It was very interesting, it was both filled with tropes but in a way that made it unique. Like adding lemonade to hot cocoa. 

I like how the reveal at the end plays in the use of date and time, and the bold choice to completely wipe two of the main characters off the face of the earth and also somehow fit an emotional climax all in one scene. 

Now for the downsides.

A lot of the book feels like a checklist rather than a story, which makes sense but is still a downside given the content. But the context as to why it's like this makes it make sense.

The plot is jumbled, the characters aren't given time to be well defined, and the story is very short. Which again, makes sense. 

The horror aspect is what makes it fun in my opinion, but the set ups and the follow through and the execution is lacking a bit.

Think of horror scenes as a good punch:

One: The set up.

You want to set up a world which feels safe so that when it's ripped away the reader feels a sense of unease and instability.

Two: The contact.

Horror is defined in oppressive force, grotesque/gross visuals, or suspense. Particularly when it comes to the scare aspect. The horror needs to either create unease, create disgust, or create a sense of suffocation and helplessness. 

Three: The follow through.

The monster/the horror needs to have lasting impact. The threat is imposing, the odds or mounting, it can be around every corner, it IS every corner. Or, the world is forever changed or the threat is out there somewhere. A good horror story is only as good as the impact the horror has.

That's hopefully a helpful guideline in making horrific scenes and stories. 

Also, if you're having a hard time coming up with stories, just read like 3 stories you love and find the best aspects of each of them and incorporate it into your own story. All creative work is derivative, find your inspiration.

Plot: 3.2/10

Aesthetics: 2/10

Grammar: 7.4/10

Total: 3.4/10

To be honest, the book I think isn't what the author wanted when writing it. I mean, I know this since they basically said they hate it. So fundamentally, the book fails. Because at the very least they should be proud they were able to write this in a week. That's worth something, especially when they displayed some pretty fun ideas and techniques.

I think if instead of worrying so much about the overall plot, for the Constrained writing here in particular a "Flow of consciousness" style writing would be better, where Ash would improvise his writing while he wrote to save time, as it feels like most of the time was spent planning the book.

Hopefully this was helpful to see the good in your work, and what you could work on in future attempts at this Constrained writing!

Also please check out the challenge if you're interested!

This has been IfWeAllFell, signing off

Onto the next one! ~0.9~