Chapter 14

I woke up when the first rays of sunlight hit my face

Everyone was still asleep, Annie was snoring on my shoulder, Grover was lying next to the zebra cage and Percy was lying on one of the bags directly across from me.
Annie was right, he really does drool.
The sun also hit him in the middle of the face and the golden light highlighted his features well.
His jet black hair shines and his olive skin...
Wait, stop.
Why do I think about what he looks like?
"Because you like him," Annie murmured next to me.
She stretched before sitting up.
"Will, will be happy"
What??
"You're talking to Will about me?" I asked in a whisper, but still horrified.
"Well, he gave me the mission to keep an eye on you two. Of course, I didn't immediately believe that there was a possibility that you liked him, but after your conversation in the car to New York it was clear."
"I think you're crazy. I'm just trying to be nice, I'm nice to everyone"
"But not your normal nice, there's more behind it.
I think we should change the subject because our goat is waking up."

I looked over at Grover who was straightening up and looking around
"How much longer do we need?"
"Ares said we should be in Vegas around 10, and it's eight now, so get some rest.
And you, Sunshine, recharge yourself again."
Her tone didn't allow any argument, so we did what she said.
After Annabeth made sure we were listening to her, she took a book out of her bag and read.

Time Skip

Percy jumped up.
Grover had grabbed his shoulder. "We stopped," he said. "We think they'll check on the animals right away."
"Hide," Annabeth hissed.
She simply put on her invisibility cap and disappeared, while I became invisible.
Grover had dropped behind the feed sacks and Percy was still sitting there, looking around.
Sighing, I put my hand in his (just in case we need to move) and let him disappear.

The truck doors creaked open. Sunlight and heat streamed in.
"Man!" said one of the truck drivers, waving his hand in front of his nose.
"I wish we had loaded sinks."
Ass.
He got in and poured water from a bucket into the animals' bowls.
"Are you hot, big guy?" he asked the lion and dumped the remaining contents of the bucket into his face.
The lion roared angrily.
"It's okay," said the man.

The man threw a crushed Happy Meal bag at the antelope.
He grinned at the zebra.
"Well, how does it look, Streifi? At least we're getting rid of you here. Do you think magic shows are great? You'll definitely like this one. They'll saw you to pieces."
It was beside itself with fear.

Then there were three very loud knocks on the side wall.
The man standing in the truck with us yelled, "What's wrong, Eddie?"
A voice outside - surely Eddie's - shouted back: "Maurice? What did you say?"
"Why are you knocking?"
Knock, knock, knock.
Outside, Eddie shouted, "I'm not knocking!"

Our friend Maurice rolled his eyes, got out of the car and cursed stupid Eddie.
A second later, Annabeth appeared next to us.
So I made us visible again.
Apparently, she had knocked to get Maurice out of the car.
She said: "This transport can't possibly be legal."
"Certainly not," Grover said. He paused and seemed to be listening for something.
"The lion says these guys are animal smugglers."
"We have to free them," Grover said.
We looked at Percy.