Chapter 1

My year was interesting

My mother had sent me to Yancy Academy.
The school wasn't that bad, yes I couldn't read properly, but the teachers did a lot to help me with my problem.
My classmates were okay, in the sense that you could talk to them, but no new friendships would develop.
As for my home life, my mom had built a career for herself.
We live in a big apartment in Manhattan, not far from the school.
Mom worked late into the night from the afternoon, so I didn't see her much.
We weren't like mother and daughter, more like two strangers who have to live together.
Annie's situation was, thank the gods, better
She told me about her day every evening and said that although her father was trying hard and her brothers were okay, she still didn't feel welcomed.
I hadn't heard from Grover since the night he said goodbye,
And for Percy.
Well, we don't go to the same school, but he helped me get back into a normal routine.
In the beginning, he picked me up from school and took me to his house.
His mother, Sally Jackson, was like an angel in person.
She took me in like it was the most normal thing in the world, took me shopping, showed me how to cook and other things that my mother never did.

The school year was coming to an end, and I was looking forward to camp again until I got an IM message.
Chiron told me what was going on at camp, Thalia's tree wasn't doing well.
I wanted to come back immediately, but the camp director said I should stay in New York and keep an eye on Percy, but I could do that at camp too.
So I skipped my last classes and went to Percy's school with the mission to drag him to camp (of course I had informed Sally before)
But when I got there, well... the gym was on fire.
Oh, Aquaman, what have you done this time.

As I approached the hole in the hall wall, I saw a monster about to eat Percy while he was trying, unsuccessfully, to run away.
The giant laughed. "My lunch is approaching."
He raised his arm, but before he could do anything, I threw a light ball at the monster
He didn't fist anymore, the giant just looked puzzled.
It looked like it needed more than a bit of heat to kill it, so I grabbed my chain.
I hit the monster right in the back with an arrow.
Something fell out of its hand.
It muttered "oh" and dissolved into a cloud of green flames.
Still sitting in the smoke was Percy, his sword in his hand, but he isn't moving.
His sea-green eyes met mine.

One of his classmates stared at me with narrowed eyes and suddenly said, "That's the ... that's the ..."
He shouldn't have seen all that and besides, he looks annoying, so I punched him in the nose and he fell over.
The gym was ablaze.
Students were still running around screaming.
I heard sirens wailing and someone was saying something unintelligible over the loudspeaker.
Through the glass windows of the exit doors, I could see a teacher struggling with the lock, while a whole crowd of teachers huddled behind him.
"Lea," Percy stammered. "Why ... how long have you been ..."
"You're lucky I came."
I let my bow disappear.
"We have to go to camp right away, something's happened."
"But Chiron said..."
"We don't have time for explanations now," I explained calmly.
"There!" a woman shouted.
The doors were flung open, and the adults poured in.
"Meet me outside and take your friend with you," I said, referring to the baby Cyclops who was sitting next to Percy and had apparently saved his life.
The only reason why the monster is still alive.
I made myself invisible and disappeared outside.