Someday

Inspired by the song Dear Theodosia from Lin-Manuel Miranda's Hamilton.

Ok so there's at least one other fanfic based on this song in the fandom, but I didn't realise that till I'd finished the first draft. Not purposefully stealing ideas, I promise! But since  @/ZillyJams99432 came up with the idea first and did a wonderful job with it, I highly recommend reading her fic as well! (Can't do links on Wattpad, but you should be able to find it on her profile page. It's named Dear BoBoiBoy.)

On a different note, I realized that for all I claim to love our dear Ori trio, I really don't write them that often. Time to fix that!

***

All seven of them have expressed, without fail, the wish to find out where Dad goes when he disappears for months at a time.

Well, now he knows. But at what cost?

***

Gempa can't take his eyes off the Kokotiam. Taufan and Halilintar are both peering into the clouds, trying to spot a descending spaceship in the inky black night, but Gempa finds himself captivated by the little structure he sees every day.

Used to see, soon. Because they stuck their noses where they didn't belong, and the result is that Dad's new top-secret mission has been leaked to three cadets. Now they're part of the mission whether they like it or not.

The data makes it clear that this'll be a behind-the-scenes project. No glory, no recognition, no rest. Just endless undercover work to make other recruits' operations a bit safer.

The data predicts that it'll last years. The data warns there's a chance they won't make it home.

Now, Gempa has little doubt that Blaze, Ais, Duri and Solar will one day join TAPOPS. They're a bit too young at the moment, and Duri and Solar have yet to unlock their powers, but all four of them—even quiet Ais—have chattered on at one point or another about how they can't wait to go on missions. Naturally Gempa worries, but preventing them from joining would make him a massive hypocrite.

This mission he's undertaking will make them safer, when they do join. They'll be a team with Solar as the de facto leader, a family with Blaze as the eldest. Gempa hopes they're ready for the responsibility. But no doubt they'll go on to do great things, just like Dad, and earn fame and glory as protectors of the galaxy... never knowing of the backstage roles played by the half-forgotten older brothers who disappeared years ago.

The three of them left a letter on the coffee table, explaining everything they were allowed to—in other words, the barest of details. They told Tok Aba in person, but only because the elder knew when it was better not to pry; their younger brothers would ask too many questions, given the chance. So here they are, running away in the dead of the night with their grandfather's blessing and the promise of tears in their wake come morning.

The younger four will be left sad and bewildered. The curt letter will not prevent that. But the more they know about this mission, the more danger they'll be in. Gempa tells himself: better to let them hate him for abandoning them than to needlessly endanger them for peace of mind. That's the selfless thing to do, isn't it?

It doesn't make the prospect hurt any less.

The wind suddenly picks up, flattening the grass and nearly blowing Gempa's cap away. He catches it and tilts his head back to see the faint silhouette of a descending spaceship, all but the most essential lights switched off to avoid prying eyes.

The ship lands silently in the soccer field. The hangar door opens, and there's Dad, looking older than his years, waiting with open arms.

With a burst of wind, Taufan crashes into him. Gempa is only partly surprised to hear a wet hiccup. It was Taufan's idea to find out where Dad went—despite everything Gempa and Halilintar have said, he still blames himself for the whole ordeal.

Dad, and consequently Taufan, stumble back at the force with which Halilintar collides with them, lightning sparks turning the grass an eerie red in his wake. Gempa hastens to join them, eyes brimming.

Dad ruffles his hair, humming sadly. He doesn't sound the least bit angry about them rifling through his papers.

"I felt the same way, the first time I took on a long-term mission after you were born," he murmurs, "You learn to deal with it."

Gempa feels a few tears drip into Dad's shirt. He's been telling himself all these things—that it'll be nice to see Dad regularly from now on, that he's keeping his younger brothers safe, that he'll still have Hali and Taufan with him—but at the end of the day, he's not ready to leave his family. He wouldn't be ready if he had another dozen years.

A warm, firm arm drapes itself across his shoulders.

"Come on, we can't stay here, it's too conspicuous," Dad says gently, guiding them into the ship, "Mechabot's probably preparing a feast for you somewhere on board. But for now, how about some of Tok Aba's delicious hot chocolate after takeoff, hmm?"

***

He can't see the Kokotiam anymore.

The spaceship is in orbit around Earth. In five minutes, it'll be in prime position to launch off into deep space. In five minutes, his new life begins.

With a definite time till Earth is lost from his view, it all seems so much more real. Gempa knew the plan, had read the mission file cover to cover, but he realizes that till now, a part of him still believed they would somehow be released from the mission. Perhaps the only reason he was able to tear himself away from the doorways to his brothers' rooms was because he thought he would see them again soon.

But no. That's the last he'll see of them for the next few years. When—if—he returns, it'll be to veritable strangers. Will they even recognize each other?

There's a crackle as Dad fiddles with the radio, waiting for launch time. Gempa recognizes the soft piano that comes on.

Dad gives them a bittersweet smile. "First song I listened to on that mission. Sort of fits the mood, doesn't it?"

Gempa can't quite manage a returning smile, so he settles for a hum. He sits silently through the verses of Dear Theodosia, huddled between his brothers, his eyes fixed on Earth.

He already misses it all. The house, the Kokotiam, the little bedroom with clashing decorations in red, blue and brown, the game nights with his brothers that always ended in a brawl and a sleepover. He doesn't want to leave, he shouldn't be leaving, he can't leave...

At the back of his mind, Dear Theodosia moves on to its final chorus. It's almost time for launch.

You will come of age with our young nation

All of a sudden, a voice pipes up right next to his ear. Taufan sings along, softly, wistfully, as he too stares out the window at Earth.

We'll bleed and fight for you

We'll make it right for you

Gempa's lips twitch upwards in a small smile. Dad's right, it does fit the mood. He can't help but join in.

If we lay a strong enough foundation

We'll pass it on to you, we'll give the world to you

Taufan reaches across Gempa's shoulders to nudge Halilintar. The former offers the ghost of a mischievous grin, the meaning of which is plain. Halilintar only raises an eyebrow before going back to staring into his mug.

And you'll blow us all away

Someday, someday

Taufan nudges Halilintar's shoulder more insistently. This time Halilintar relents with a heavy sigh. As the thrusters start firing and Earth starts shrinking, the three of them gaze at their home and the family they're leaving behind, the brothers that will one day carry on the legacy with pride.

With a final three-part harmony, the farewell dies away with their old life.

Yeah you'll blow us all away

Someday, someday.

***

When I imagine the three of them doing those harmonies at the end, I just—