rainy day

James couldn't believe she said yes! He was on cloud nine after their kiss, and so was Zoe. Their fondness for each other grew over the next few days as they shared stories, laughs, food, and a few kisses. 

~

7:12

It's a rainy morning and Zoe wakes up groggily. Her and James spent the night out at a skating rink and were up til 1 AM. She was thankful for the fun, but her body was having a hard time coping. Work decided to give her the day off and she decided not to tell James, wanting to surprise him. After she got ready for the day, Zoe decides to grab some breakfast pastries and drinks for her and James. The time is 8:37 by now. Hopefully he's awake, she thought to herself. She knocks on his door and a few moments go by. No movement was heard. Zoe knocks again, a little more forcefully this time. Rustling is heard and moments later, James opens the door with his hair a mess, bags under his eyes, and his bare chest. Zoe notices but quickly shifts her gaze. 

"Zoe? Shouldn't you be at work?"

"I got today off," she notices his disheveled state. "I figured I would surprise you. Are you okay?"

James looks down, "Yeah, I'm fine." Rain patters. "Come in."

Zoe goes into his dark and rather cold apartment and places the items on the kitchen table, turning the dining room light on. James disappears into his bedroom. She sees sheets and a pillow on the floor of his living room, but she says nothing. 

"I grabbed some breakfast if you're hungry." Zoe knows she woke him up and felt bad. "Sorry for waking you."

He reappears with a shirt on and Zoe gives a small sigh of relief. She could not handle all of that right now. 

"It's fine. I'm glad you did." He goes over to her, hugging her without warning. She felt his strong form, firm yet gentle. Zoe feels the warmth of his chest on her face and she smiles. James lets go, leaving a kiss on her forehead. 

"So, what'd you bring?"

"Some muffins and a tea for you. Of course, coffee for me." Zoe sits at the table and she hears the rain pattering the window. James sits opposite her and she sees his face, she could tell he was exhausted. 

"Thank you," he replies. 

"How did you sleep?" 

"Eh, had better nights," he sighs. 

"I noticed your mattress on the floor."

"Oh," James turns and sees he forgot to pick his "bed" up. "Yeah.. I.." he has no response. He has no excuse.

"What are you punishing yourself for?"

James shoots his eyes to her. "What do you mean?"

"You're clearly not sleeping on your mattress for a reason, and usually it has to do with punishment."

James was taken aback, how could she possibly know that?

"Don't worry, I do it, too." Zoe admits. 

"Well, yeah, I just feel like I don't deserve to sleep on the mattress." He grabs a muffin. 

"Why?" She eyes him. 

James thinks a moment and the sound of rain fills the silence. 

"I just don't."

"Is that what you tell yourself? That you're not worthy of sleeping on a comfortable mattress?"

Again, James finds her eyes. "Yeah," he says inaudibly, moving his gaze to the wall. Zoe watches him for a second and gets up, closing the distance between them by bringing her chair closer to him. She grabs his free hand, the metal one, and looks into his eyes. No words were needed, her eyes told him everything he needed to know. Zoe notices a slight glisten in his eyes as she looks into them. Her gesture had done more for him than she will ever know. After a few moments, she lets go of his hand and grabs a muffin for herself. As she takes a bite, James speaks again, "Thank you." Zoe simply smiles and he returns one.