special package

5:52

It's Christmas morning and Zoe is already up. She had spent the night before celebrating at Mama V's, but her sleep was rocky and finally she gave up. Atlas is fed some wet food that morning, it's Christmas after all. In the quiet morning, she decides to make hot chocolate and turn on a Christmas movie. No messages had come through on her phone. No word from James. He hadn't messaged her since they video chatted. She was worried, but decided not to imagine the worst. 

As the sun came up around 8 am, Zoe decided to take a stroll. She knew nothing was open, but she wanted to enjoy the snow despite the cold weather. The excursion lasted longer than she expected, and she made her way back. The door was unlocked again. Dang it, I really need to be more careful. She enters her apartment and takes her winter gear off. Upon sitting on her couch, she notices a small box on the table. Where did that come from?  Alarmed, she goes around the apartment, checking for an intruder. The kitchen, living room, and bathroom were all clear. Her bedroom door was closed. Quietly, she opens the door and sees a man sleeping on her mattress. Could it be? She approaches the bed and leans over to see his face. It was him! So filled with joy, she wanted to jump on top of him and hug him, but she decided to let him rest. His light snoring was an indication that he was exhausted. She plants a soft kiss on his head and leaves the room quietly. 

Going back into the living room, she sees the small box again. She decides not to open it and begins forming a present of her own for him. 

~

Hours go by, it's twelve past noon and James is still fast asleep. Zoe debates on whether or not to wake him. On one hand, she wanted him to sleep, knowing his sleep pattern was probably a mess overseas. On the other hand, she had been missing him so much she felt as if time was wasting. Who knew how long he would be in town for? After much deliberation, the choice was made for her. Her bedroom door squeaks and James appears in the living room. Zoe jumps up and runs into his arms. He picks her up and spins her around, kissing her softly when putting her down. They stay there a few moments, cherishing the kiss and embrace. They pull away. 

"You're home!"

"I won't be here for long, I just had to see you again."

Zoe's heart sinks for a moment, but she changes her focus. "I don't care, I'm just glad you're here." She gives him a warm embrace. 

"Did you open your present?" 

Zoe breaks the hug. "No, I wanted to wait until you were up."

"Well, I'm up."

Zoe grins and dances over to the table, grabbing the small box. James follows and sits on the couch. She sits next to him and slowly opens the box. Inside was a gold necklace which had roses that were studded with diamonds. She could tell it was real gold and real diamonds. How could he afford something like this? 

"Do you like it?"

"I-- I love it. It's gorgeous."

"Let me put it on for you."

James gently takes the necklace out and places it around her neck. 

"How does it look?" She inquires.

"Perfect." He smiles at her and she blushes a tiny bit. She was used to his eyes, but they were different today. They were-- longing. 

"I have something for you, too."

"What? How? You didn't know I was coming."

"I'm a woman of many talents." Zoe grabs a bag and hands it to him. James opens it and finds a hand drawn picture of his face and next to it a wolf. In the corner is written 'White Wolf' in Xhosa. He is speechless. The portrait is spot on and the wolf is life-like. 

"How-- When did you do this?"

"A couple of days after our outing at the zoo. That moment with you and the white wolf really stuck with me. Do you like it?"

"It's incredible! I love it!" He gives her a big hug and she feels the tenseness of his shoulders as her arms rest on them. This mission was taking a toll on him. 

"I'm glad." She releases and he places the picture on the living room table. "How long will you be here for?"

"I have to go back tonight."

"Oh.." Zoe looks down and James is torn. 

"In truth, I'm not suppose to be here right now. I kinda just left before Sam could say anything."

"Ooo, you're in trouble." Zoe teases. 

"I'll get into trouble for you." James looks at her endearingly and again, Zoe blushes. 

"Well, what do you want to do until then?"

"Whatever you want, darlin."

"How about we make those cinnamon rolls like the ones from my old job?"

"You have the recipe??"

Zoe smirks and nods her head. 

"Oh, I love you so much." James kisses her. "Let's do it."

The couple get up and begin making the tasty treat. Thankfully, Zoe had all the ingredients on hand. In between waiting for the dough to rise, they spent as much time as possible in each others' arms. 

~

7:13.

The time came for James to leave for the airport. Before leaving, they shared their last embrace and last kiss. Both of their hearts were folded up as James left. He promised he would be back as soon as he could. 

~

A week passes and Zoe receives another package. James had sent her some stollen bread.