a call

Winter weather is in full swing in Chicago. The nights are chilled and snow begins to fall. Zoe enjoyed the look of snow but hated the cold that came with it. Christmas was only a week away, and so far, James was not even close to coming back. She made up in her mind to spend the holiday with Mama V again. 

After teaching her class, Zoe makes her way to her apartment. Upon entering, she notices her door is unlocked. Panic sets in instantaneously and she opens her door slowly. The lights are out and Atlas greets her at the door. She turns the lights on quickly, and after a quick inspection, she sees the apartment is empty. I must've forgotten to lock the door when I left. She thought. 

After her heart rate comes down, she changes and settles down for the night. A chime rings on her phone. 

How was class?

It was fine. Isn't it like 1 am over there? 

Yeah. Couldn't sleep

:( I'm sorry. How can I help?

Can we video chat?

Of course 

Her phone rings and she answers, seeing his handsome face. 

"Hey there handsome."

"Hey beautiful." His voice is a little scratchy. 

"You okay? You sound exhausted."

"I'm fine. We've just been running in circles trying to catch Karli. She's always five steps ahead of us." 

"Oh, I'm sorry. How is Sam doing?"

"Frustrated. He's trying to reason with her, but I don't think it's working."

"Why is he doing that?"

"He's pulling a Steve and giving her the benefit of the doubt."

"I mean, she's pretty dangerous, right? Can't really give someone like that the benefit of the doubt."

"Yeah, well, I can't judge. I'm kinda in the same position."

He was right and Zoe knew it. James continues, "I miss you so much."

"I miss you, too."

"Tired of sleeping on these makeshift beds. They make everything ache. I just imagine I'm in bed with you. I mean, sleeping, not--"

"Bucky, calm down. I know what you mean." Zoe smirks. James changes the angle of his camera and now the top of his chest is showing. Her cheeks get hot immediately. She continues the conversation, "I miss having you lay next to me. I'm always so cold at night. Winters in Chicago are miserable."

"Yeah, it's getting cold here, too."

"Where are you now?"

"Germany."

"Oh, send me some stollen if you can."

"What is that?"

"A sweet bread made around Christmas traditionally."

"I'll see what I can do." He smiles and a pause ensues. "Can you do something for me?"

"Sure. What's up?"

"Can you read to me?"

Zoe was amazed. He didn't seem like the type to like stories. 

"I mean, yeah. Do you have anything in mind?"

"No, I just want to hear your voice. It'll calm me down enough to sleep."

"Okay, one sec." Zoe leaves and grabs a book-- one of her favorites-- Pride & Prejudice. "You ready?"

"Yeah."

"'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of good fortune, must be in want of a wife.'"

As Zoe continues to read, James relaxes and eventually falls asleep. Zoe ends the call and gets ready for bed.