cherish

Autumn came and went, as the falling of the leaves. Zoe began her teaching job at the dance school and was loving every second. She felt good to have her body moving again, and even better that she was passing on her knowledge to the young ones. Mama V was very proud and was sure to express her pride to Zoe every day. 

James had been pulled in with helping Sam dismantle the Flag Smashers in Europe. He was in Chicago every now and then, and made every effort possible to visit Zoe when he could. As the holidays neared, Zoe feared she would be spending them alone. 

~

7:47

The morning was dark and Zoe woke up with a heavy heart. She was missing James a little extra this time of year. She understood his mission and supported it fully, but she always worried he would get hurt. She checks her phone. No messages. To quell Atlas' cries, she feeds him then sinks back into her bed. One good thing about working at the dance school was that she no longer had to get into work until the afternoon. She falls back to sleep and is woken up by her phone chiming. 

Hey beautiful are you up?

Good morning handsome

How you feeling?

I'm okay, I've had better nights. I miss you 

I miss you too. Hoping to be back for Thanksgiving but we're close to finding her

Don't worry about it. Just make sure to stay safe

You haven't been worrying have you?

Is my name Zoe?

Babe I told you, you can't worry about me like this. It'll make you sick

I know, I really have been trying. Just come home soon okay?

Promise, talk to you later

Zoe sighs. At least she knew he was safe. After their brief conversation, she decides to get up and start her day. 

~

James knew she was worried sick and he wanted to be home, but this mission was way too important to not complete. Karli needed to be stopped. He just hoped he wasn't causing too much stress for her. Zoe had told him how it made her almost sick to think that she could lose him. He hated that. He hated the thought of making her feel that way. And he also hated being apart from her. Apart from her warmth, her calming presence, her creativity, her love. While he made sure to check in as much as possible, he had to be careful for fear of giving away their location. 

~

Thanksgiving comes and goes and James didn't make it back. Zoe celebrated with Mama V and her family. She wasn't mad at James and told him that countless times even when he kept apologizing. As long as he was alive and helping the world, she didn't care where he was. A few days after Thanksgiving, she receives a package in the mail. It was from an unknown address in Europe. She opens the box and finds a globe with a ballerina inside of it. A note says:

I'm sorry I didn't make it back in time, I hope you like it. I love you

James

Zoe almost cries and winds up the trinket. She watches as the ballerina spins with a sweet melody playing. She holds the gift close to her chest and cherishes it.