sprouts

The winter nights drag on in Chicago. It was now late February. Zoe was struggling. 

While she had mended her relationship with her mom and her teaching was doing well, Zoe felt lost and out of place. It was always night in her mind; a blanket of depression erased her joy. James did all he knew how to comfort Zoe, even when she pushed him away. 

~

9:02

It was a cold, rainy morning and Zoe was glued to her mattress. James had already gotten up to run some errands and she was left with her friend, depression. She drags herself out of bed to make coffee, then gets back in. The weather made her miserable. The rain did not bring her joy like it usually did. After a while, she falls back asleep. 

10:58. 

James returns and finds her sleeping. Seeing that she didn't eat, he makes her a breakfast bowl with yogurt, fruits, and granola. He goes into the bedroom with the bowl and gently wakes her up with a kiss on her forehead. Slowly, Zoe rises and rubs her eyes. 

"I made you some food."

"Thanks, but I'm not--"

"You need to eat." He interrupts her. She groans and takes the bowl, knowing she was going to lose the argument. After taking a few bites, James asks, "What would you like to do today? I know it's raining, but we can find something."

"Eh," she shrugs, taking a small bite. 

"Maybe.. a silent movie? Or we find a cozy shop to look around?"

Zoe listens, but doesn't respond. She was mad at herself for being back where she was just one month ago. She thought she grieved properly, but it appears not. 

Her gaze is now on the picture she drew of him which found its way onto her bedroom wall. He watches her gaze. 

"You wanna draw today?"

"Nah, not feelin' it." She drags the spoon in her bowl, not really wanting to eat more of it. 

James exhales. After a moment, he gets up and leaves the bedroom. This crushes Zoe's heart. She knew he was just trying to help, but she truly had no energy. Her creative side was mute. Her joy was absent. She begins to cry and James comes back in with some of her scratch paper. He sits on the bed and begins sketching. Zoe hears the pencil, and looks up, watching him draw. After a while, she recognizes that he is drawing, or attempting to draw, Atlas. At the end, he adds a halo above the cat's head. He tears it out of the notebook and gives it to Zoe. She smiles, showing her tear stained cheeks. 

"My angel," she says quietly, admiring the sketch.   

James smiles and kisses her cheek. 

"Come on, I wanna show you something that might cheer you up."

Zoe gets out of bed and follows him into the kitchen. On the window sill are some small plants they planted a few weeks ago, and they were beginning to sprout. Finally, some basil she could use that Atlas didn't destroy! Elated, she turns and hugs James tightly. She hadn't even noticed they sprouted. They let go of their hold.

"Those seeds were in darkness for a few weeks, but eventually, they came up and sprouted in the light." He takes her hands. "You're gonna sprout, Zoe, and when you bloom, you'll be the most beautiful flower. The darkness won't last forever."

Tears well up in her eyes and she nods her head. His words always seemed to make her see the bright side. They hug once more, and he rests his head on the top of hers. They stay here for a long time, with Zoe listening to his heart beat, eyes closed. She was taken to another world and she felt the sun there. She didn't want to leave.