Chapter Seven: Apprenticeship, Knightship, and Reassurance

(A/N: MC is still a kid right now and I wanted to show a scene that would lead to Artoria showing more of her emotions if not to her kingdom, then to the child that she will eventually consider her own son at some point so just a heads up is all)

"𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐈 𝐟𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐈'𝐦 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐩 𝐢𝐧 𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐲 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬,"- 𝐃𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐌𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜

Alaric POV: 

The surviving knights and I observed the intense battle between our King and Vortigern from a distance. The ground trembled beneath their mighty clash, emanating blasts of both golden and emerald light that filled the air with raw power.

My fists clenched involuntarily as I watched, overwhelmed by the sheer strength and prowess displayed by both combatants. What would it take for me to reach such levels of power and skill?

Amidst my contemplation, I heard the sound of footsteps approaching "she's quite something, isn't she?" came a smooth voice from behind. I turned to face a man with long pink hair tied in a ponytail, draped in a matching cloak and wielding a wooden staff.

"Have we met before?" I inquired a sense of familiarity tugging at my mind the man introduced himself dramatically, "I am Merlin, the Mage of Flowers.". 

My eyes widen disregarding the casual reveal of Arthur's true name which she hadn't told me of either "your Merlin!" I nearly shout before I stopped myself, I took a look around me noticing the fact that no one had even looked over at us upon hearing my shout. 

"Relax they can't hear us I casted a spell around us so that no one can overhear us," Merlin explained "why is it that your here Merlin should you not be assisting her majesty?" I questioned he shook his head though "nah Artoria can handle Vortigern just fine no I came here for you," he said. 

"F-for me?" I ask in shock the mage nodded his head "that's right I've heard a lot about you from Artoria more particularly your ability to manipulate and shape your mana without any problems. Which I do have to say is quite something special I mean with just a simple mana construct you were able to easily annihilate a group of Saxons so needless to say I see quite a lot of potential in you, and I can help you if you want," he offered. 

I looked down in thought rumors had told of how Merlin was a mage of great power and had trained Arthur or well Artoria now I guess in the use of a sword looking back up I ask, "if I accept then...will you be able to make me as strong no stronger then both Vortigern and Artoria combined?" Merlin hummed in contemplation before shrugging his shoulder "eh sure why not," he said it just like that. 

Merlin then looks out into the distance "ahh looks like Vortigern is retreating now," he pointed out I look back only to see Vortigern in his white dragon from he roared before flying away "wait is her majesty alright?!" I quickly ask with panic Merlin nonchalantly waved his hand "mah mah relax would you Alaric look she's perfectly fine just a few scratches and minor wounds," he said projecting a view of where she was. 

I sighed in relief seeing that she was still alive and not dead still the sight of her covered in blood shook me unknowingly my eyes began to glow my vision changes and I see Artoria covered in blood standing atop of a bloody hill while crying out at the sky.