Chapter Eight: The Youngest of Knight's

"𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻'𝘁 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗹 𝗺𝘆𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳 𝘀𝗼 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘀𝗲𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝗿𝗸𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝗲 𝗻𝗼 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗶𝗺𝗮𝗹 𝗜 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗽 𝗺𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗺𝗲," 

- 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲'𝐬 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐞 

Alaric POV

The journey back to Camelot was long due to so many being injured but none of the less we made it back in one piece well most of us at least I thought glancing back at some of the veteran knights that I had managed to save I sigh my mid wandering away back to the battlefield. 

The adrenaline as I slaughtered without stop, the rush of blood coursing fiercely through my veins, the feeling of dread and fear when Vortigern had appeared on the battlefield ready to end me like an insignificant bug, and lastly the feeling of envy when Artoria was able to combat Vortigern himself head on without fear while I retreated away like a coward.

With Merlin's guidance, perhaps I could hone my skills and become stronger. But deep down, I couldn't shake the gnawing doubt that plagued me would I ever be able to stand toe-to-toe with the likes of Vortigern or Artoria?

I mean all I really have is my magic which I could easily use and manipulate to my will, but my sword skill still needs a lot more work.

I snapped out of my thoughts when we finally made it to the city gates the people stood on the sides of the road cheering for all of us fiercely it was a heartening sight that lifted my mood greatly. A smile graced my lips as I soaked in the warmth of the reception, I waved to a few people alongside some of the other knights. 

I continued riding alongside 'his' majesty back to the castle returning back to my quarters I slowly removed the pieces of damaged armor off of me.

 I then proceeded to place my sword down on top of the table nearby my bed alongside the spear that I had taken from the battlefield perhaps I would ask Sir Lancelot to instruct me in the finer points of spear combat when he has the time.  

Come to think of it he did say to go meet him for celebratory dinner at the pub making my mind up I decided to exit the castle and head down to the usual pub that Sir Lancelot always took me to after our training sessions. 

When I entered, I was greeted to the sight of people cheering and even more so when I saw Sir Lancelot who was surrounded by bunch of women exclaim "there he is the knight of the hour may I present to you all my apprentice...the youngest person to be a knight since his majesty the king Sir Alaric the Brave!!!" he declared in a drunken haze dramatically pointing at me.  

"AYE! MOST OF US WERE THERE WHEN THE BOY...NO MAN CAME AND AIDED US ONE BY ONE BEFORE WE WERE KILLED BY THAT SLIMY BASTARD VORTIGERN!!!" came the approval of some of the injured knights that I had saved from the battlefield. 

The pub grew louder with cheer people came up to me giving handshakes or a pat on the shoulder needless to say I was pretty abashed by all the attention...but on the inside I was quite proud for having saved most of them. 

With a smile I joined in the festivities talking with the various knights which also included some knights of the round who were invited by Sir Lancelot, enjoying the various meal, and hell I even had my first drink despite being underage although I still had to carry Lancelot's drunken arse back to his quarters at the end. 

Dropping Lancelot onto his bed I quickly exit his quarters and return back to my own hoping to catch enough rest before my first lesson with Merlin started tomorrow. 

Breathing in softly I close my eyes letting myself fall into a deep slumber and then I suddenly found myself back on the battlefield fighting and then he appeared once more Vortigern the same emotion of weakness and fear surfaced back up to my heart by tenfold which soon turned into panic when the monster opened its jaws. 

-Snap-

I awoke from the nightmare with a loud gasp sweat crawled down my face and chest while my heart pumped away so fast that I felt it might explode taking a deep breath to calm myself I turn to face the view outside noticing how close it was to morning already. 

With a sigh of exhaustion, I stood up preparing myself for the new day slipping my tunic shirt on along with a pair of black plain pants I exited my room and headed down to where Merlin's tower was. 

I let myself get lost in my thoughts my gaze was focused on the ground and without me even realizing it I had accidentally crashed into someone. 

I grunted from the impact "oh dear that quite hurt hehe," came a voice that sounded like bell chimes I stood up to face the person I had bumped into only to freeze once I saw who it was. 

Oh shite! I cursed and bowed my head all the way down into the ground "I sincerely apologize Queen Gwenevere I was being extremely clumsy and did not see you please forgive me!" I exclaimed feeling a mix of shame and fear. 

In response to this though she merely laughed said laugh sounded quite beautiful to my ears "oh please there was no harm done young one, but I must ask why you are roaming the castle so early?" she questioned. 

Her grace and kindness which put me at ease, I exhaled a breath I hadn't realized I was holding "right once again my apologies I am supposed to meeting with Merlin he's offered to take me up as his personal apprentice," I explained in response her eyes lit up a bit. 

"Oh you must be Sir Alaric then! The youngest person to have become a knight my dear Arthur would not stop telling me all about you. I only found out just yesterday when Merlin informed me he would be taking you on as an apprentice," she said clasping her hands together with a wide smile a complete opposite from Artoria if I had to say. 

While she talked I glanced at the now rising sun and realized I was going to be late at this rate "I am sorry my lady but I must really get going before I am late," I say with a bow but Gwenevere waved her hand off nonchalantly "that's quite fine I do not wish to hold you although I must advise you to be weary of some the antics that Merlin does from time to time," she replied with a nervous chuckle at the end. 

I couldn't help but raise a brow at that yes Merlin was a bit weird but surely, he can't be all that bad I thought outwardly though I nodded my head at her words and quickly left. 

Left alone for a moment, Queen Gwenevere chuckled softly to herself watching my retreating figure with a knowing smile. She had seen many come and go in Camelot but there was something about Sir Alaric that had piqued her interest in him time would only tell though she thought. 

With those last thoughts she quickly left to go meet with her 'husband.' 

-end of chapter eight- 

alright finally chapter eight has been made and done thank god! I thought I would never be able to finish. 

An Image of Gwenevere: (I don't own this art nor did I draw it just an FYI)