Chapter 04: The Rishta

4:47 P

4:47 P.M.
DELHI

"What does she do?" I questioned, frowning between my brows and staring at the windscreen with displeasure.

"She's a lawyer." Maa responded from my right as the car resumed moving when the signal turned green. "And..." I felt her gaze on me before she proceeded. "Her name is Zahra."

As soon as I heard her name, millions of comments began to form in my head and on the tip of my tongue. I bit back. I don't think someone with the name Zahra can be anything other than a spoiled brat obsessed with her manicure routine.

"She mainly lives in London," Maa explained.

"London?" I looked at her and said, "Maa, I live in New York."

"I know that, Qais." She responded with a nod as she looked at me.

I stared at her for a while before saying, "Then how can you even consider this girl?"

"Just because you live in two different places doesn't mean you can't marry each other." Maa replied, grabbing her purse from between us and shoving her phone inside as the car came to a halt.

I gently shook my head and added, "It's more than just two different places. It's two different countries. USA and... UK, for god sake!"

Maa only stared at me.

I looked outside the window and saw a medium-sized, two-story house. I tightened my jaws and gazed at her once again.

"Maa, let's be practical here. I won't change my priorities for any girl."

Maa observed me with a straight expression before smiling slightly and saying, "Dekhte hain!" She then knocked on the window of the car door once, and a bodyguard opened it for her before leaving me alone in the vehicle. At least I found a solid reason to say no.

I sighed as I adjusted the collar of my black shirt before opening my door and walking out into the hot sun as another black SUV parked behind us. Kainaat and Baba stepped outside as two guards opened the doors.

I really hope that girl does not like me. But that isn't possible. Because everyone would want to marry into a Nawab family.

I pushed my hands into my pockets as Maa and Baba approached the dark wooden door, while Kainaat and I followed after them, with four bodyguards directly behind us.

"I heard she was here for vacation." As we approached the door, I heard Kainaat to my left.

Without glancing at her, I only asked, "Who?"

"Aapki hone wali biwi!"

I gave her a look and stated quietly, "I'm not marrying her."

She only nodded mockingly and smiled with her lips closed before looking away, and I did the same. Does she know anything that I don't? ... Did Maa tell her anything? Did I underestimate Maa? Did she have any plans beyond this meeting? Did she...?