Chapter 09: Promises

I gripped the leather strap of my brown cross-body bag hanging from my shoulder, over my stomach with both hands while smiling up at the sun as the breeze blew through my half-updo hair

I gripped the leather strap of my brown cross-body bag hanging from my shoulder, over my stomach with both hands while smiling up at the sun as the breeze blew through my half-updo hair. It's a perfect day for a walk. I wish Zahra and Mallika were also present. I exhaled. We'll have to go on a walk another time when everyone is feeling up to it. Which doesn't seem likely in a long while.

I started walking again, and after 15 minutes, I arrived outside Zahra's house, where a black car waited by the iron gate, whose name I didn't know. So I gently slid by it, entered, and locked the gate behind me because I had no idea what sort of car it was or who drove it. So, better safe than sorry.

I grabbed my bag's strap again with both hands and hurried up the four steps to the entrance door, which happened to be unlocked. Why is the door unlocked? I slowly walked inside. I'm sure Mallika is behind it. Why can't she understand we're not in London? And India is not completely safe enough.

I shook my head and closed the door behind me as I entered the hallway, asking loudly, "Why's the door open?"

I moved down the hallway to the living room and came to a sudden halt when I discovered two very tall males standing opposite Zahra near the seating area. She had an uneasy smile on her face, but it quickly turned into a wide-eyed expression as she both heard and noticed me. I pressed my lips momentarily. Shit! Was she expecting guests?

When the man on the left looked over his shoulder at me, I angled my head slightly. Is he from the bank? Is Zahra opening any kind of account? But, most importantly, why is he that handsome? Bankers are not supposed to be attractive, right? They— The attractive man who was staring at me turned to his colleague on his right as he too began to turn to me.

His face gradually became visible, and—No. No, no, no. Not him! It can't be him! A soft exhale came from my mouth as he entirely turned to face me, and my heartbeat raced while my mind became dead. It is him.

He gazed right into me with his light brown eyes, and my lips parted slightly as I breathed abruptly but slowly through my mouth, while my hands began to quiver as all of my memories of him and of us flashed through my mind. I swallowed, tightening my hold on my bag's strap as my panic level rose. The back of my eyes burned, and I felt tremors throughout my body as he looked up at something, then at the man standing next to him, and then at me for a second before marching towards me. My heart skipped a beat as he passed past me, looking down, followed by the sound of the main door opening and closing.

I heard some faint voices somewhere around me before someone passed me. But I couldn't concentrate because my entire body was shaking. My ears started ringing, and I...

"Sabah!" I looked up quickly, wide-eyed, at Zahra, who was staring at me with nothing but care and worry.

"I, um, I'm tired... I'll be in my room." I sniffed and blinked a few times, avoiding Zahra's gaze as I felt the corners of my eyes moisten. But what I wanted to avoid the most was the voice I used to speak. It sounded so hollow and dead that... I'm not sure. I...