Chapter 14: Mehndi or Eyes?

13th March6:30 P

13th March
6:30 P.M.

"What are you all doing here?" I inquired as I pulled up the sleeve of my left arm of my cream kurta and stood by Bade Papa and Baba.

"We're drinking, beta Ji." Bade Papa responded as he sipped from his malt whisky. "Our Begums' have turned their backs on us for the night."

Baba nodded in agreement before adding, "So we are waiting for them."

My brows tugged. "But what did you all do together to make them turn their backs on you?"

Chote Papa sighed before continuing, "Because, beta, according to them, Mehndi is a function reserved for women. Males are not permitted to attend this gathering. However, they allowed us to come because you, the dulha, will have to apply mehndi as well."

"I do?" I wasn't aware of this.

"You must be wearing mehndi. But it could be as small as feasible." Bade Papa said this while handing me a whisky on the rocks.

Baba let out a low laugh before replying, "Or you can have an entire design on your hands. The choice is yours, beta. Completely yours. We will not pass judgment. I assure you."

"Right." I shook my head slightly as I drank my whisky, and Chote Papa snorted at Baba's joke, causing everyone at the bar to laugh.

"Where are Asad and Zaid?" I inquired as I looked around the bar after they had settled down a little to shift the subject.

"Asad is running a meeting in the conference room. And Zaid," Chote Papa paused as he glanced around the huge backyard of Hotel Revina, which was adorned in pink and multi-color. "I don't know where he is." Asad had a meeting today?

"I am sure he is with the girls. He is their favorite brother." Bade Papa offered. "And given the time I haven't seen him after getting here, they must be already sitting on his neck."

I chuckled slightly before finishing my drink, returning the glass to the bar front, and turning away to go.

"Where are you going?" I heard Baba from the bar behind me.

"They won't let you go near Zahra, Qais." Chote Papa's voice came next.

I turned to face them but continued walking backwards, saying a bit loudly with a little smile so they could hear me. "I am the dulha, Chote Papa! Of course, they'll let me."

They shook their heads, smiling, as Bade Papa exclaimed, "Then all the best, Beta Ji! We'll be right here waiting for you when they won't let you near her. Don't worry!"