Chapter 13: Friends?...Family!

10th March11:07 A

10th March
11:07 A.M.

After assuring that everyone was ready to go to the Niazi's for Qais' haldi, I hurried barefoot back to my room upstairs in the penthouse, shoving three potato chips into my mouth and gripping the can of Pringles in one hand.

I pushed the bedroom door open, slightly lifted my wide-legged pants, and leaped over an open suitcase at the door.

"Sab log ready hain!" I said as I let go of my pants and glanced at Sabah, who paced the room dressed in an orange sleeveless anarkali with her dupatta on her neck, and Mallika shifted in the bed with one knee up to her chest, yawning loudly and dabbing the corners of her eyes with her second finger.

"There are no other options. Either you do this or go!" Mallika spoke to Sabah, who stared nervously at her, then at me with wide eyes, before saying, "What if I break my leg?"

"You won't break it if you do it like I explained it to you last night." Mallika slid down her leg to the floor as I sat on a cushioned seat near the door and the open suitcase before eating another potato chip.

Sabah shook her head uneasily, then turned to face her again and said, "You do it then! You have experience with breaking bones!" She shuddered at the word 'breaking'. "You excel in that department. Also, you're a doctor; you know exactly which bone to break."

I huffed out a laugh before Mallika grimaced while fixing her hair while looking in the mirror and saying, "I don't want to embarrass myself! That's your department. Also, no one will believe that I actually hurt myself. But they will if you do." She dragged her hands down her orange v-neck anarkali with mid-length sleeves, then grabbed her dupatta from the bed, tossed it to the back of her body, and brought it back up over her elbow and forearm. "But it's fine if you want to go there that badly! I'll understand." She left Zaid's name hanging in the air as she fixed her hair again. She and her tactics. I stuffed another potato chip in my mouth and crossed my leg.

Sabah let out a silent sigh before squaring her shoulders and raising her head to say, "What do I have to do?"

Mallika smiled as she looked at Sabah in the mirror before turning to face her and saying, "Nothing. Just walk blindly like you always do."

"I don't walk blindly!" Sabah defended herself, looking offended.

"Yeah, we know you're just blind with open eyes." I agreed, and she gave me a look that suggested, 'You, too?'

I simply shrugged before Mallika said, "Let's go! Break some bones!" And Sabah shuddered with disgust again.

As she took her place at the top of the stairs, wearing high heels and looking down with somewhat wide eyes, Mallika and I took positions near the glass balustrade and rested on our arms before motioning for Sabah to begin the descent.