Chapter 12: Remembrance, Dimples, and Happiness

7:30 P

7:30 P.M.
HOTEL REVINA

I knew I shouldn't be thinking about Sabah, but as I stood in the Hotel Revina's dining room with a gorgeous woman next to me, whom I very much love and adore, the past felt all too familiar.

Eight years ago, Sabah confessed her feelings for me at a similar gathering because she was jealous, and that was the day I realised I wouldn't be able to live without her anymore. Yet here I was! But does she remember? Will she be reminded of that night once she arrives?... I'm curious what she'll do now, after 8 years of that confession and 5 years of our not-mutual breakup.

"You really don't have to keep me company!" Aleena said this while gently wrapping her hand around my arm as we stood along a wall in the busy hall, which was filled with families and friends celebrating Qais and Zahra's upcoming wedding. Which is also the very first in the Malik line.

"No." I agreed. "Not when Ibrahim arrives." I looked at her. A warm smile spread across her sharp square face with a slight blush on her cheeks before she looked around the room with her light brown eyes, which were the same colour as the entire Rehman family.

"C'mon, Zaid! I won't die if I'm alone for a little while." She turned to face me. All signs of softness are gone, leaving a slight irritation behind. "Don't you have someone to be with?" I do, but she does not want me. Not anymore.

"I enjoy completing the tasks assigned to me. So, rest assured, I will not leave before Ibrahim arrives." I responded, casting a glance over the crowd. Is she not going to show up again?

Aleena moaned next to me and complained, "You're worse than my husband. At least Ibrahim gives me enough room before hovering over my shoulder like the possessive bastard he is."

I nodded in agreement and responded, "That's because he's your spouse. He must protect what is his. And you are my cousin's cousin. Which means you are my sister. And I very much love to be with my siblings."

I glanced at her as I felt her gaze on me. She pursed her lips before sighing again and saying, "I already feel sorry for the girl who will marry you someday. May Allah provide her the strength to put up with you for a lifetime!" She had the strength, yet she gave up.

"I always pray the same for Ibrahim. Since he-" I paused when I heard the distant sound of heels clicking repeatedly on the polished black marble floor, and my heart rate rose. She is here! I swallowed with clinched jaws, then inhaled and exhaled through my nose, feeling my heartbeat in my ears. Yet, over the thumping and crowd whispers, I found myself searching. I tried to make out the sound again. I searched for her sweet voice but couldn't find it. Was I mistaken? Can't I even recognise the sound of her voice? Did I also forget the sound of her footsteps? Can I not recognise her without actually seeing her? Can't I—

"Zaid?" I looked to my left when I heard Aleena's soft voice. She stared at me, her brows furrowed with concern, her eyes searching my face. "Are you alright?"