Chapter 05: Maa...?

4:39 P

4:39 P.M

I took the takeaway bag from the front door, thanked the delivery man, closed the door, and dashed upstairs to Zahra's room, where we had gathered after lunch.

I closed the bedroom door behind me and spotted Mallika and Zahra reading books. The former sat on the floor, leaning her back against the white wall, her legs extended out, her face hidden behind a black hardback book stripped from its dust jacket, which lay tossed on the floor next to her, with the words Fourth Wing printed in golden letters on the cover. Zahra, on the other hand, was half lying on the bed under the multicoloured duvet, her head propped on her right fist, while holding a paperback of the same book in her other hand and staring deeply into its pages.

I placed the bag on the dressing table before reaching inside to retrieve a large coffee takeaway. Cold brew.

"Mallika, Zahra, take your coffees." I called without looking over my shoulder as I laid the cup down on the table, then reached back and took two more cups from the bag at once. Iced Caramel Macchiato and Iced Hazelnut Latte.

I turned over my shoulder and saw the two of them looking deep into their books as if I hadn't called them. I shook my head slightly before turning again and grabbing the Cold Brew and Iced Hazelnut Latte, dropping the latter on the nightstand and the former next to Mallika on the...

She shrieked loudly from her position on my right, and I nearly collapsed on the floor next to her as my heart pounded against my rib cage.

"What happened?" I heard Zahra's surprised voice behind me, followed by the rustle of blankets.

Mallika lowered her book to her lap, revealing a horrified expression on her face with her dark brown eyes wide and mouth open.

"What?" I inquired, glancing between her and the book.

"Liam died." It was all she said. All she needed to.

I gasped loudly, covering my mouth with my hands and looking at her with wide eyes. A thump came from behind. When I looked over my shoulder, I saw a stunned Zahra with her book face-down on the floor, staring at us. Equally shocked.

My knees hit the floor as I dropped my hands and remained silent for a moment before rising to my feet and going to retrieve my copy of the same book they were reading. I should have just continued reading.

I found my book on my bed in my room, hurried back to Zahra's, and sat on the chair of her dressing table, my legs drawn up to my chest. Liam can't die. He-can't die.

"The..." Mallika began.

"Don't!" Zahra and I yelled together before she resumed reading, and I took a sip of my Macchiato before opening the book and removing the simple black bookmark. "Don't give any other spoilers! We'll talk after we finish this."