Chapter 1 Saying Goodbye

Looking at the boxes packed in the moving truck, I walk back into my old apartment and look around at the empty space. 

"Are you ready to go?" Lani walks in the door checking in on me and gives me a hug. I smile and try to forget all the painful memories of my old apartment and walk out the door and get in the passenger seat of her car. 

"Thank you for doing this Lani. I wish you could go with me, but I know it's hard to move with the kiddos." I adjust the radio to some upbeat music and sit back in the seat as we make the drive to the airport. 

"I wish I could go with you too, but I know you need this more than ever. I am sorry it had to come to you having to move away." She looks at me sadly as I ignore the hole that's been looming in my chest since January. 3 months later and here I am saying goodbye to the only place I have ever known. 

"Who knew falling in love would lead me to moving states away." I take a deep breathe and try to attempt a smile as Lani reaches over and squeezes my hand. 

"We have 2 hours till the airport, take a nap before you have to get on the plane. I will wake you when you get there." She smiles and turns on our relaxing playlist. 

"Thank you for taking care of me Lani." I smile and lay the seat back and cover up my eyes hoping to get some sleep. I quickly lull to sleep with the vibrations of the car. 

"I could never make you happy or give you the dreams that you want, you have to move on. We will never have a chance, because I can't give you what I want." I stare at Dalton with tears streaming down my face. 

"What about this entire year, yes we are having troubles. I wanted to learn and heal and  motivate because of my feelings for you, not get rid of them." I stumble back against the wall crying and he moves closer. 

"I am sorry but all I have done is hurt you, and I keep hurting you. I just want your friendship, I can't give you the family or love that you deserve." He looks at me sadly and all I can feel is my heart break into thousands of pieces and disappear. 

I wake up to Lani shaking me, and I wipe the tears from my eyes as I see us pulling up the airport. I sit the seat up and try to wash it all down with a drink of water. She looks at me with a knowing look. 

"Promise me, you will look into a good therapist while you are down there. You have got to stop having those nightmares otherwise you won't heal." I look at the airport ahead of me knowing this is my chance to really heal. 

"I promise Lani, because I know I can't keep hurting like this." She nods and follows directions to where she needs to drop me off for my flight. Pulling up to the terminal drop off I get out and grab my bags. Looking at Lani with tears in her eyes, I give her a big hug. 

"I will call you the minute I land in Florida. Promise your still coming down in August for my birthday correct?" She laughs and nods as she closes the trunk to her car. 

"Yes I promise, I am not going to let the chance of celebrating your birthday in Florida go to waste." I giggle and wave to her goodbye as I head inside of the terminal. Luckily for me, I choose the deadest time to fly, on a Tuesday evening. I go to the easy quick check in and head to the pre check in to get x rayed into the waiting area. Reaching to my neck, I sigh I took grandmas necklace off for the flight. I know she is still with me though. 

I hand the security officer my ticket and my ID. He scans in everything and lets me in to the saftey line to get scanned in. I put my small bag that I am taking with me on the plane on the X Ray belt and go through the scanner. Of course I have to roll my eyes when it goes off because of the metal in my wrist and they have to wand me. 

Getting through I grab my bag and head to my terminal and find a seat to wait. I pull out and check my messages, enjoying my new case on my Iphone. I quickly reply to my parents that I am at the terminal waiting and loading is in 30 minutes. I see a text from my best friend that I met back when I first visited Florida last month, Tryston. He is the one who became like a brother to me when I wanted to drown myself in alcohol on my trip. Thankfully, he is helping me with the move. 

I send him a quick text that I am boarding soon and let him know what time my plane lands so he can pick me up from the airport. I sit back and put one of my apple buds in putting on some music to help me relax. 

Before I know it, they are calling people to board. I am in group B so I wait a bit to get up and get in line.  I find my seat which I carefully booked right next to a window. I lean my head and look out the window as I say goodbye to Kansas for a good long time. I close my eyes and put the other ear bud in my ear as I drown out the noise of people talking.