CHAPTER TWO

Zuzile Mfusi

The only thing I’m battling with in this pregnancy is nausea. The intense smell of the grease used to fry the eggs and bacon downstairs has me running back up to my room to vomit my intestines out. When I lift my head back up, I feel lightheaded and weak.
I rinse my mouth, grab my handbag and make my way out the room.
My family was already sitting at the table enjoying breakfast, the one I can’t bear to stomach. I need something light because my stomach is empty. I greeted them.
“Please take me to school sis.” Muzi hijacked me.
He’s my mother’s last born, the egg of the family, I love him like my own son, I’d do anything for this little mischievous mini me. He gave me soft pleading eyes.
“Finish up so we can go.” I say.
“Yes, thank you. I love you!” yeah sure he does.
I chuckle and take an apple from the fruit bowl.
“Are you not eating?” mom asks suspiciously.
That side eye she sends my way convinces me she has a lot to say.
“I’m not hungry yet. I’ll grab something at the office.” I defend.
That time I’m starving! She doesn’t say much, she just continues to give me weird looks. I tell Muzi to hurry because the smell of the grease is starting to work up my stomach again and I can’t stand it. In no time, we are on the way out.
I dropped him off at school, and I got myself another I love you when I gave him money. It’s easy to bribe these kids.
When I arrived at the hospital, my receptionist greeted me.
“How is my day looking today?” I asked her.
She paged through her diary.
“Aside from your 3 scheduled appointments today, there is a Linda Madlala in your office wanting to speak to you. I tried to stop her, but she insisted you know her.” mam’ Linda?
“No, it’s okay. Hold any patients until she leaves.” she nods.
I make my way inside and she’s sitting there with a bouncy Mvelwenhle. I wonder why he isn’t at school.
“Hello mommy.” he comes to engulf me in a big hug.
Mvelo is Kabelo’s child. He’s 6 years old and he lives with his maternal grandmother. The story is his mother, Lindiwe is a drunkard woman who has no cares or responsibilities in the world, hence why she dumped her only son with her mother so she could continue living her party animal life funded by blessers. Kabelo fell “victim” to her ways, and she got pregnant after their one-night stand. He didn’t support Mvelo for the first two years of his life, he wasn’t even involved in his life, but as soon as I learned about his existence, I couldn’t let him possibly continue to live lavishly while his only son suffered. So Mvelo comes by to visit when I’m around, hence he calls me mommy. We have a beautiful bond, and I love him with my whole heart; he grew on me. That and I think he thinks I’m his mom because Lindiwe is barely around.
“How are you my big boy!” I kissed him all over his face.
“I’m good, I miss you and daddy.” he says.
He’s too big, I can’t pick him up like I used to.
“You should tell gogo that you want to come visit in December.” I tell him and grab his hand.
I go to my office chair.
“Sawbona Ma.” I greet his grandmother.
They live so far; I wonder what made them travel all the way here.
“Is everything okay ma?” I ask her when I’ve settled in properly.
“No. Do you perhaps know if Kabelo stopped paying school fees or if it’s delayed? I received a letter from his school saying we are behind with payments, and he can’t go back until they are paid. I can’t afford his school; my pension all goes towards grocery already and Lindiwe doesn’t send money home. I’ve been trying to get a hold of Kabelo to no avail.” she states.
“No ma, I actually wasn’t aware. Let me call him and find out.” I know for a fact Kabelo is not having financial problems.
I used my office phone to call him. He answers only on the second ring.
“Sthandwa sami.”
“Mthiyane. I’m with Mvelo’s grandmother, and she’s telling me that Mvelo hasn’t been going to school because school fees haven’t been paid. She’s been trying to get a hold of you, but you aren’t answering.” I relay the story.
“About that actually. I wanted to take Mvelo out of that school because I want him to move in with me.” men!
“Okay but why would you stop paying school fees love? I mean it’s already the end of the year, and this person is going to grade 1 next year. If we swop schools now, they may want to make him repeat the year. You should have asked me to help you.” I say.
“I didn’t know he was going grade 1.” what does he know.
I’m sure he doesn’t even know this boys’ shoe size. He’s no different from an absent father; I don’t know how it would be if I wasn’t in his life and had forced him to take care of his son. Maybe Mam’ Linda would be struggling alone.
“It’s okay. Just please pay the balance for the year, and then if you want him to move in with you, you’ll finish that conversation with Mam’ Linda. I’ll also help you enrol him anywhere you think is fit.” I say.
“Okay my love.” I wrap up the conversation with Kabelo and redirect my attention to Mam’ Linda who is looking at me attentively.
“Okay ma, I’ve told him to pay the balance, he will sort that out. He says he didn’t pay because he has hopes of having him move in with him. But I told him that wouldn’t be ideal since the school year is almost over, plus it would have to be discussed before it happens.” I say.
“Definitely sisi. He can’t take him while he’s still a bachelor, he must marry you first.” I laughed a little.
“I’ll trust him and sleep a lot better at night knowing that you are taking care of Mvelo. Maybe he’ll also change.”
“Kabelo will never change.” I say, she laughs and nods along.
“Thank you sisi, we have to get going now, I want to go grocery shopping early because this one is chaotic.” she says standing.
“You are welcome ma. Bye Mvelo, mommy is going to see you soon okay.” I also stand.
He comes running to me and hugs my legs.
“Bye mommy.” he says in his small voice.
This little boy loves me, and I love him just as much. I open my drawer and take out some money. I give it to him, and he giggles.
As it stands, I’m playing mommy to two little boys, but I’m not complaining. Now I’m excited to welcome my own baby, and I hope it’s a boy, they seem to love me.
“That’s for you.” he nods happily.
I say my final goodbyes and watch them leave. Back to work I go.

Bent Not Broken: Kabelo and Zuzile On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara