CHAPTER SEVEN

Zuzile Mfusi

Now that eggs make me less sick, I was able to help out MaNgcobo in the kitchen with breakfast because that’s part of the package of taking care of my fiancé thirty days post-unemployment.
I quit my job at the hospital, under stern instruction from Kabelo who claims that I do not need to work when he is alive to take care of me. It was a hard decision to make, especially because I studied for more than seven years to get that job. On top of that, he has no idea the amount of hardship I had to face in that work environment, not being accepted, and being stereotyped by the men there.
But I did it anyway. I cried a lot those days, and being at home was depressing me to the point of no return, but I guess taking care of him while he was still recovering from his accident took my mind off of things a bit.
I still really haven’t wrapped my head around the idea. Even my body is struggling to adjust, I still wake up super early just to realize I have nowhere to go.
I’ve also added a month to this pregnancy, and another month means more weight that I cannot carry by myself. I’m two months away from meeting my baby girl.
At least he shows excitement about that. Our union, not so much. I low-key feel like he’s still holding that whole Sandile thing against me, and it always makes me wonder how much he heard that day.
He has an off day today from work, he doesn’t have those often so I’m a little happy he is, we can spend some time together, and maybe start talking about our wedding.
When I get back into our bedroom, huffing and puffing from taking the stairs, I’m surprised to find him awake, showered, dressed, and looking fancy.
“Morning baby, I was about to wake you for breakfast.” He smiles at me and comes to kiss me on the forehead.
“You shouldn’t have baby; I’m going to a meeting.” He says fixing his watch.
He’s dressed casually, jeans, sneakers, and a black plain t-shirt. Nothing professional about that. I watch him as he brushes his hair, I’m in disbelief.
“You could have at least told me that you had plans,” I complain.
“It slipped my mind baby, I’m sorry. Did you plan something for us to do yini? I can always cancel.” As if he would.
“No, I had nothing planned. You can go to your meeting.”
He walks closer and cups my cheeks.
“Don’t sulk, baby, I’ll try to come back early okay.” I just nod.
The word ‘try’ tells me that he didn’t plan on coming back early in the first place.
My whole mood has been ruined completely; I figure I might just bury myself under the covers until Mvelo comes back from school.

•••

MaNgcobo offered to tend to Mvelo because I wasn’t feeling like myself the whole day. Clearly, Kabelo and I have different definitions of early.
He left before ten am and it’s past two pm and he’s still not back. I try very hard not to be a nuisance, but what he does to me hurts, it really does.
I just got out of the shower, and I’m sitting on top of my bed naked, trying to catch my breath, I need to catch my breath a lot these days. My phone rings on top of the stand and I stand up to go answer it.
It’s Sandile calling me. I still haven’t saved his number, but I memorized it because he does call me at least two times a day, and sometimes I answer, sometimes I don’t.
Today is one of those days where I answer.
“MaMbatha.” His creamy voice comes through into my ear.
“Hi Sandile.” He really doesn’t give up.
“What are you up to today? I wanted to take you out for lunch maybe.” He jumps straight into it.
He takes me up on this offer every chance he gets, and I obviously always decline because he’s not just any man, he’s my ex. Being seen with him might spark a lot of controversy.
“Nothing hectic, but…” he interrupts me.
“But what my Zu? I’ve been begging you for a whole month to just have lunch with me, nothing much. Why are you denying me that opportunity?” I sigh.
He’s forcing me to take this conversation in this direction and I didn’t want to.
“You are my ex Sandile, we haven’t spoken in four years, and I was the one that wronged you. Do you think it’s easy for me to just want to meet up with you?”
“I’m glad you made mention of that. You wronged me but I hold nothing against you, hence I’m asking you to lunch. Please don’t overthink this, I understand that you are in a relationship, I’m not trying to come between that, I just want to catch up with my friend.” The word friend makes my scalp itch.
He’s making this difficult for me.
“It’s just lunch MaMbatha. Two friends catching up. I’m sure your husband won’t mind.” He definitely would mind, this is Kabelo we are talking about.
But do I mind? Nope! He’s also not here, he barely even has time for me. What more do I have to lose? And like he said, it’s just lunch. As friends.
“Okay, we can go to lunch, but I’m going to have to find a babysitter first.”
“Ask Helen, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind! Thank you MaMbatha, I’ll send you the details for the restaurant.”
I can’t believe I just agreed to have lunch with my ex.