CHAPTER ELEVEN

Zuzile Mfusi

I need you to breatheee he drags out the word, much to my irritation.

Breathing is not helping! I shoot back!

I tighten my grip around his hand and puff out breaths, trying to ride out the contraction. Ive been having them for hours, but they just dont seem to get any better.

Sandile get this baby out of me, please! I plead with him.

He just brushes my sweaty forehead and plants a kiss on it. Just as I am coming down from that contraction, the doctor walks in.

Look at you, handling this like a pro, she says coming to stand by me.

Im really not doctor, I want this to be over now. Ouch! another one.

They are coming quite close together. Maybe you are ready.

She checks how far dilated I am, and she reports that Im just two centimetres away.

Ill be back in ten minutes to check on you again. I nod.

Thank you doctor. Sandile thanks with a smile.

Im sure shes wondering who this is. Kabelo and I have been to doctors appointments together, she knows who he is. Now seeing a different man must be a shock to her.

Did you hear that; you are handling it like a pro. Im so proud of you. Sandile says kissing my cheek.

Thank you. I whisper under my breath.

The door opens, and Im disappointed to find its not the doctor saying shes here to take this baby out, but shocked to see Mrs Mfusi and my mother. Since when are they besties? Im mad at both of them for not answering their phones when I needed them.

My mom is really shocked to see Sandile, Im actually shocked that she still recognizes him.

Sandile, what are you doing here? she just had to rush to ask that first.

No Hi mntanami, Im sorry for not answering your call, or a young How are you feeling? nooo, they just have to question the only person who was there to help me when they didnt.

Sandile quickly leaves my side to go shake my mothers hand. She welcomes it with grace, but there are a lot of questions dancing on her face. As for MaRuth, she just looks at him until he retracts his hand. He was just trying to be respectful.

Where is Kabelo? MaRuth asks coming to stand on the other side of my bed.

He left last night and didnt come back. I tried calling his phone, but it was off. She frowns.

No, why would he do that? Did you get into an argument? MaRuth and meddling.

Shes already pulling out her phone and calling her son. So maybe she thinks Im lying. Her face falls when it goes to voicemail.

Maybe his phone is off. Let me call Vusmuzi, Im sure he knows where he is. Sakhile right? You can go now, thank you. She says the latter directed at Sandile.

She did that on purpose. That fuels me up immediately!

Uhm its Sandile he says politely.

Im not about that shit, sorry.

No, Sandile is staying. Hes the only one that actually cares about me in this world. Another contraction hits, and hes by my side immediately helping me breathe.

This is unacceptable she starts going off, but my mom immediately cuts her off.

Leave her, let her be. MaRuth is not happy about that.