Vol 1 Ch 3

Happiness is a feeling of freedom from pain. 

Arthur Schopenhauer

On the second day, the school rules were explained to us most of the time. My classmates were a little confused by how indifferent the teachers turned out to be. During the lesson, I heard conversations that were getting louder by the minute. But despite this, the teacher did not say a word about discipline.

This is probably how teachers behave with students who have completed compulsory education. Although, of course, this is still a school, so this train of thought does not have such a great development. Perhaps, if it were a college or university, such a thing would not seem unusual or strange, but here...

In such a light atmosphere, I did not even notice that it was time for lunch. After getting up from their seats, the students and their new friends went to fill their stomachs for the rest of the day. I should go get something to eat, too. A cafeteria can be a good option for this.

– Oh, Ayanokoji-kun, do you mind coming with me for company?

Hirata came up to me and asked such a strange thing. There were several girls standing behind him, why is he inviting me? Is it possible that this was the scenario move of a romantic comedy film? That is, following the director's logic, I will have to meet the girl of my dreams at the dinner table during the big break.

– I'm sorry, but now I have other plans.

It was a lie. I just don't want to go to lunch with him. Yes, he may be nice and friendly, but I will feel superfluous in his company. Moreover, I did not believe that I would be able to find a girl in the cafeteria so easily. How do you imagine this at all? I can't even imagine such a surreal scenario.

– It's a pity... okay, then I won't distract you.

– I'm sorry, Hirata, but it's necessary.

I nodded to him one last time and left the classroom, after which I headed to the cafeteria at a very high speed, so that Hirata's group could not notice me. Although even if they realized that I was going in the same direction, it doesn't mean that the cafeteria is my goal. I could have been anywhere in that direction.

– Whoa, whoa, whoa, where are we in such a hurry?

Turning around, I noticed that guy Hashimoto, who was walking as fast as I was, clearly trying to catch up with my person.

– Nowhere, just...

– Okay, whatever. Do you mind talking to me over lunch? I really want to know what our princess has told you so interesting.

The princess? Are they there in their class And playing role-playing games or what? Is he talking about Sakayanagi? Today is only the second day of school, what has she managed to do in her class? Did she really want to call herself the captive princess from the tower? Except I didn't notice any long golden hair yesterday.

– I don't mind.

After all, this is not the kind of company where girls who are unpleasant to me will be. I mean, it could be an all-male one-on-one conversation. I might even be able to find out useful information about their class. Moreover, it is worth finding out who plays the role of Rapunzel there.

* * *

After picking up my tasty order, I headed to the table where Hashimoto was already waiting for me. On his part, there was a medium-priced lunch. You could say that it included a few simple vegetables and a large piece of deep-fried meat. If you were thirsty, then a large glass of water was attached to this meal.

For myself, I decided to choose something cheaper. Simply put, it was a slightly better meal than the free version. Hashimoto noticed this, but didn't say anything. Perhaps he already understands the situation.