Without Them

Gem remembered the day Lizzie and Joel went missing. Lizzie vanished first, with the group all trying their best to find her.

Joel never came back from their search. The duo were lost to the endless forest that encircled Essempii, never to be seen again.

She remembered how Pix, the oldest and certified dad of the orphaned kids, sat them all down to enjoy one of his famous home-cooked meals to shave off their worries.

Katherine and Shelby huddled close, taking comfort in the other's embrace.

No one saw Lizzie or Joel again after that.

-

The kids lived life as usual, as much as it pained Gem. The adults didn't care for them, and only Pix was old enough to work, so they needed to keep each other safe.

Fwhip stole a lot. He was a kleptomanic with a love of anything shiny. It got him in trouble a lot.

But the things he stole could get pawned off for high prices. Pix never agreed with his style, though.

-

Gem skidded to a halt, nearly face-planting into a wall. Yet another one of Fwhip's schemes gone wrong!

"Thieving scum!!" Something was thrown at her, and Gem had to duck out of the way.

Why was she helping him again?

Because kids help kids, that's why. A rule Pix thought up himself.

If one of their own was in danger, through fault of their own or not, they had to help.

Fwhip laughed next to her, spinning around to taunt the fuming man.

Gem shook her head. She had such a dumb little brother. She was definitely getting him back for this. "Good to know someone's having fun."

Fwhip spun back around, nimble footwork a learned trait. "Why shouldn't I? Someone's got to have a bit of fun nowadays!"

The twins charged through the narrow alleyway towards a familiar abandoned house.

The man who was hot on their tails crashed into something, a thick translucent green barrier that faded as he staggered back.

A very familiar voice addressed him coldly. "Any idea what you're doing here?"

Pix stood over the twins, green glinting in his amber eyes.

The man wasted no time getting in his face, demanding Fwhip and Gem to pay for what they stole. Pix just stood there, not reacting.

"You want your money? Okay, fetch." He tossed a small, loose bag of change at the man, letting it burst open and spill everywhere.

The man grumbled and stalked off.

Gem laughed, relief coming off her in waves. Fwhip had a lot of talking to do later.

-

Katherine disappeared a week before Shelby. The two were Soulmates, always destined to be together.

"I have to go, I have to find her-!" Shelby pulled her belongings closer to her, her warm brown eyes flashing a bright purple. She was adamant about this. Unwavering.

"Shelby I-" Pix tried. He couldn't lose more of his family. Not so soon after Katherine.

"You can't stop me, Pix. This is MY decision." Shelby's eyes glittered with tears. She was right. No matter what, he couldn't stop her.

Gem was rooted to the spot. She had to do something, anything to not feel so useless.

Shelby glanced at the younger girl. Her expression changed to that of sorrow. "I'm sorry, Gem. This has to happen."

And she was gone.

Pix tried to find her again.

He didn't give up.

But he had the rest to take care of, and that was a full-time job.

-

Gem never thought she'd be without Pix. He was a crutch to her, an older brother when her younger brother was too much for her.

So his disappearance shook everyone hard, especially Jimmy.

Jimmy was a special kid. Kind, brash, always seeking out to deal justice for his friends.

He didn't take Pix's disappearance well.

He stayed in his and Pix's designated room, lying in Pix's bed like the act would bring him back.

This wasn't like the Jimmy she knew at all.

He wasn't the same after that. He was... distant. Long gone was the bright and cheerful boy, now a hollow shell with nothing left behind.

It wasn't surprising to learn a few months after Pix vanished, Jimmy had left, too.

And now she was alone, with only Fwhip left.
____________

If you couldn't tell, I'll lay it out for you:

Lizzie - Cyan Soul. The first to fall into the Underground after what happened with Pearl. Don't let her kind face fool you. She's a master at deception.

Joel - Orange Soul. He's hot-headed and impulsive but very brave when it comes to his friends.

Katherine - Blue Soul. She stays true to her word and doesn't like to back down for anything.

Shelby - Purple Soul. It just feels right for Shelby.

Pix - Green Soul. In my headcanon, Pix was the 'dad' friend and always cooked for the kids since he was the oldest.

Jimmy - Yellow Soul. He's got the whole sheriff act going on in ESMP S2 anyway. He's a perfect fit!

Gem - Red Soul (just like Pearl). She has a very stubborn and focused spirit, if broken up by her getting distracted easily.

Fwhip - Purple Soul. He's very hardworking and stubborn, just not as much as his sister.