Heartache

Long chapter, incoming! I've been excited to post this chapter-
__________________

'Get up.'

Gem couldn't explain what woke her. Fwhip was fast asleep, snoring softly. So it couldn't have been him.

'Get going. Faster.'

What was the voice doing? Just yesterday, it was all peaceful and lingering in the corners of her vision. Now it was pushing her to do... something, and was getting more and more impatient.

"What do you want?!" Gem quietly hissed. The blurred figure of a girl appeared next to her. "I'm trying to get some sleep!"

'Xanther plans on destroying the exit to the rest of the Underground. This is very bad for us.'

Gem scoffed. "Us?! Why should I care, Xan is an amazing person, one I personally wouldn't mind having as my father! Sorry, apparition, but you picked the wrong girl for this whole, 'chosen one' thing you're cooking up."

The apparition looked taken aback by her statement, her form flickering for a second. She straightened up, red pinpricks narrowing. 'Then you deny his sacrifice?'

Gem felt her blood run cold. Sacrifice...?

"What are you talking about?" Gem hissed, low and threatening. She was done with these cryptic messages.

'Jimmy, who else? Gem, if you let the exit be destroyed, you'll be losing the only shot at fulfilling Jimmy's wish! You can't let Xanther do this!'

What wish...? What had Jimmy done...?

Gem sucked in a breath. This was a bad idea. She knew it. "How can I help?"

'Wake up your brother, try and convince him to come with you. I have a plan that involves the Barrier. You two are unstoppable when together. I know you'll make it.'

-

Fwhip wasn't expecting to be shaken awake and then literally dragged out of bed.

"C'mon Gem, five more minutes, then we can get started..."

"There's no time! Come on, get up!" Gem whisper-yelled, pulling him up until he stood on his own.

"Whas' going on?" He slurred, his voice thick from deep sleep. Why was Gem rushing around?

She grabbed a medium-sized backpack, stuffing granola bars and bottles of water into it, along with a few other things, before throwing it over her shoulders.

"Whoa whoa! Hey! What are you doing?!" Fwhip was confused. Why was she acting like this? Like she was running out of time?

"We have to go! Now! Xanther could be down there destroying the exit! We don't have time to stand around!" Gem was still rushing around. Her face was flushed, like she was sick or something.

Fwhip grabbed her shoulders, spinning her around to face him. "Gem. What's going on?"

"The six..." Gem breathed. Fwhip tensed, his eyes widen in shock. "The kids before... our friends... Fwhip they- they're-"

Fwhip didn't want to believe it. "No... no Gem, please...."

"I have to- I have to go, Fwhip! I have to find a way to fix this!" Gem grabbed at her hair, her words nothing but nonsense spilling out.

"Gem..." Fwhip wanted to cry. The thought that all his friends were gone, that they weren't coming back, it tore at him. "Please..."

"I'm going, Fwhip, whether you like it or not. The choice is yours to come with me."