A chilling turn of events

We're in for the long haul! :D
________________

The snow was coming down a lot harder now. Gem had half a mind to stay for a while, at least until the blizzard lifts. But Scar had taken it upon himself to talk to her personally.

Something about meeting him as soon as possible.

The twins finished Fwhip's leftover pancakes as fast as they could, and tried to hype themselves up for the blizzard they'll face.

"You know, if you two want..." Hypno cut in, gesturing to a door under the stairs. "There's some old clothes you two can grap from the lost and found. They've been in there for ages."

The twins stopped, pausing with the door a crack open. Gem was the first to speak. "Are you sure? We don't have much extra money, and I don't know if we can ever-"

The receptionist held up a hand, waving them forward. "The last guests came here over a month ago, and haven't come back since. If they really missed anything, they would've come back. Oh, and pick something that's warm AND can handle water. Waterfall's pretty soggy."

Gem picked out a fluffy yet durable brown and cream jacket, while Fwhip chose a jacket that was reminiscent of the one before but a lot bigger. He also picked up a red scarf to tie the look together.

"Nice job, kiddos! You got style!" Hypno complemented them as Gem gave him the key back.

Gem returned the smile and ran to meet her brother outside.

They walked in silence for a minute, admiring the charming houses and library. Fwhip was the first to break the silence.

"You know... it's weird," He laughed, although it was a lot softer than normal. Melancholic, almost. "We only were here for a few hours, but I'm gonna miss this little town."

Gem pulled her brother in close, Winnie trotting at her heels. "They were really welcoming and treated us better than what we've seen our whole lives, even if we technically ARE their enemies."

"I just wish we could've stayed longer," Gem whispered. The wind picked up, making Gem squeeze Fwhip's hand tighter. "But we have a mission to get back to. We can't dawdle around any longer."

The river that ran by them was picking up in speed. Maybe that was a clue they were nearing Waterfall.

Fwhip hummed, not facing his sister.

The mumble of a voice could be heard, but with the wind, it was impossible to hear whatever was being said.

Finally, the twins got close enough to make out a shape of... someone...

They didn't have a jacket on. Instead, a short-sleeved spandex shirt plus pants were all they were wearing. The emblem on their chest was an orange and light blue arrow pointing down.

The figure noticed them, a too-wide smile forming. It became clear who this was.

"Scar??" Gem took a shot in the dark. She was certain it was him.

He struck a valiant pose, flexing his arms at the kids. "HUMANS. ALLOW ME TO TELL YOU ABOUT SOME COMPLEX FEELINGS."

Gem hugged her arms to her body. If he really wanted to talk so badly, couldn't he have picked somewhere that was inside? "Yeah... and?"

"FEELINGS LIKE;" Scar continued. Either he didn't hear her over the wind, or he was ignoring her. "THE JOY OF FINDING SOMEONE WHO ENJOYS MY COOKING!"

Fwhip tensed, whipping his head sideways to hide his blush.

"THE ADMIRATION FOR ANOTHER'S PUZZLE-SOLVING SKILLS."

Gem grinned, waving a hand in dismissal. "Oh... heh, thanks!"