Dog Fight and Dog friend

"Identify yoursmellf!" The smaller of the Dogs growled, gripping his axe tighter.

Oh boy, could this be any worse?

(No, no. Scratch that. She is not jinxing herself!).

"Gem- Gem Rose." She shivered, not just because of the cold. She didn't dare look at them.

"Hmmm, your smell is strange... not like a Hybrid at all..." The taller one whispered, ears pinned back. "It makes me want to eliminate something..."

"Eliminate you!" The one with sunglasses growled, swinging his axe at her.

"Wait! We can talk about this!" Gem staggered back. The blades slashed at her, giving her little room to work with. "I am a Hybrid! A- A Dog Hybrid!"

She prayed it'd work, otherwise... she didn't know what she'd resort to.

"Not like any puppy I've ever smelled!" The axe came down, burying itself in the snow and mud underneath.

Wait... wait. Mud! If she smells weird to them, then the mud can mask it!

Gem had always been a lot more comfortable in dirty or grimy places than her brother, so she didn't care too much about the wet mud she wiped on her exposed skin and clothes.

The taller Dog shifted his axe, heaving it up, before pausing. "Wait a second."

The smaller Dog stopped, his sunglasses stopping her from seeing most of his expression. "What is it?"

"This doesn't smell like a human..." The taller of the two stepped closer but sheathed his axe. "More like a... weird puppy?"

"Yeah!" Gem hoped her voice didn't wobble as much as she thought it did. "Like I said! I'm a puppy! Like you guys!"

The sunglasses one put away his axe, lowering his sunglasses. "Sorry about the mix-up, we've just heard from some sources that there was a human passing through here."

"It's no problem!" Gem waved her hand dismissively. "Say, what are your names, anyway?"

"The name's Ren, and this is my partner, Big B!" The sunglasses one brightly exclaimed, all tension gone from him.

Gem did a small mock bow and smiled up at them. "Pleasure to meet you!"

"We should get back to searching, stay safe, alright?" Big B called back, pulling his hood up over his head.

Gem gave a nod and salute but immediately dropped the act when they vanished. They were headed in the direction she came from! What if they ran into Fwhip?! No offense to him, but he'd stand very little chance.

-

Getting back where she needed to go was hard, especially since she couldn't take the normal path. The two guards weren't too far away and chatted quietly.

Increasing her pace, Gem overtook the unaware duo, using the towering trees to her advantage.

And there, still back by the Save Point and unplugged microwave, was Fwhip's tinkering with the electronic's panels.

"Fwhip-" she hissed, pulling him away from his job. The Dogs were getting closer, and she didn't have time for this!

"W-" Gem slammed a hand over his mouth, dragging him deep into the snow-covered forest.

A moment later, the two guards passed by, unaware of the humans they narrowly missed. They didn't stop. They didn't linger. They just continued on.

The kids sighed, relief flooding them both. That was shattered by Gem clocking Fwhip in the shoulder.

"Why didn't you say anything?!" Gem yelled. She knew she couldn't be too loud, lest the Dogs come back. "You just let me wander off, not noticing you weren't there!"

Fwhip put his hands up, guilt flashing over him. "I'm sorry, okay!? You know how I am with tech stuff. I just can't help it!"

Gem wanted to retort with something. How dare he scare her like that!?

But all the fight was drained from her, and all she wanted was to get somewhere she could rest.

"Let's just keep going..."

The walk back wasn't that bad. It was better than lugging through thick foliage while the fear of your brother being taken from you for the second time hangs above your head.

Fwhip looked... she didn't know how to describe it. She'd never seen him like this.

The two walked on, in silence.

The puzzles were nice, especially the weird color changing one. Gem will admit, the sight of Scar fleeing in such an amusing way brought a laugh out of her.

"Y'know, that pasta from earlier?" Cub hummed. Maybe he could tell something was up. "It was pretty good for my brother. He's all about baking, so to see him try other methods, it's nice. Plus, at this rate, he'll make something edible by next year!"

Huh, nothing. Odd. With how little he's known Gem, she would at least always laugh at his jokes. So this was weird.

Once this was all done, he'd have to have a chat with her.

Gem smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Sounds like he's having fun, at least."

Cub was even more worried. Did something happen between those two? They seemed fine before, but now Gem walked with all the grace of a toddler.

The two left, but Cub couldn't help but worry for them. Hopefully, it'll all be better soon.

-

There was a second ice rink, but instead of the bright and fun filled experience they had with the first one, this one was changed into an ice puzzle.

It wasn't that difficult. It was just hard to keep balance when all your thoughts were of how guilty you felt.

I shouldn't have yelled at him like that, but I don't know how to fix it.

Gem dusted off her hair. The snow was melting rapidly in it and making her even more cold.

Fwhip was... still silent. He hadn't breathed a word since-

Since she-

Oh, look at how she messed up. She got a second chance after that flower exposed her, and she still ruined it!

Some sister she was.

A bark and the twins startled, thinking the guards caught up with them.

Instead, it was a large chocolate brown dog. It had short fur that thickened in the chest and head and floppy ears.

Warm amber eyes glittered with excitement as it bounded towards the twins. Or, really, Gem.

The dog knocked her down and went to town licking her.

"Gem!?" Fwhip spoke up, worry for his sister overtaking his silence.

"It's okay, she's friendly. What's your name, sweetheart?" Gem crooned. The dog had a collar and a sparkly silver tag. Gem froze, dropping the tag with a clink.

"W-?"

"Winnie?!"
_________

Did I replace Greater Dog with Winnie? Yes, yes, I did. She's a great enough doggie already!