Goodbye, (Dad) Xan...

"Pathetic... is it not?" He laughed, his resolve gone. "I cannot save a single child."

"Xan..." Fwhip spoke up, his energy finally coming back to him. The burns hurt, sure, but for some reason, energy still flowed in his veins. Must be adrenaline.

Xanther stopped him, the shadowy wall coming down. "No, I understand. You two would be unhappy, after a while, trapped down here. The ruins are very small once you get used to them. It would not be right for you to grow up in a place like this."

"Oh... Xan..." Gem helped Fwhip to his feet, whispering apologies for not telling him her plan sooner.

Xanther laughed, still a hollow echo, but now carrying a lighter note to it. "My expectations, my loneliness, my fear... for you, children, I will put them aside."

The world brightened again, and Xanther let his weakened body fall. Doing that much magic must've worn him out.

"If you truly wish to leave the ruins... I will not stop you," He whispered softly, letting the duo draw near. His tail was curled tightly around him. Maybe it was an act of comfort. "However, when you leave... please do not come back. I hope you understand."

"Xanther..." Gem whispered, and she did the thing she'd been wanting to do since the start of the battle. She pulled him into a hug.

He was shocked at first but slowly embraced her. Warm tears painted both of their faces. Gem opened her eyes and grinned. Fwhip had joined them, wrapping his arms around his sister and budding father-figure.

"Goodbye, my children..." His voice was muffled and thick. The hug ended much sooner than they would've liked.

"Goodbye, Dad..." Gem whispered. She knew he could hear her, and he smiled, even with the tears that ran down his face. He stood, walking down the hall.

He paused for second, staring at the children. Gem could've sworn she saw the ghost of a smile flicker on his face. He turned back, and he was gone.

Gem couldn't hold it back anymore. Gem let herself sink to the floor, sobs racking her body. She knew she had to do this, but that didn't stop it from being so painful.

Fwhip stayed with her, and it didn't go unnoticed that the floodgates had opened up for him, too. Stray sobs escaped him, but he had to stay strong for his sister. They were on their own now.

-

An unknown amount of time passed. It could've been a few minutes, or it could've been an hour. Neither of them cared.

All that mattered to them was letting out their anguish. Not their mission, not their goals, just that.

They held onto the other like they were their last lifeline.

Fwhip dried his tears, helping his sister to her feet. His voice was raw and cracked. "C'mon... let's get going..."

Gem didn't answer, her green eyes dull with grief. Xanther may be okay, but now they'd never see him again.

'Don't think like that.'

Gem wanted to argue with the apparition, but she was too drained.

Gem let Fwhip lead them to the exit, watching as the purple halls grew smaller and smaller, until-

A thin beam of light illuminated a sole patch of grass. The ground stirred and broke, and the smiling face of a sunflower greeted them.

"Clever. Verrrryyy clever," He snickered, voice low and taunting. Fwhip hated how uncomfortable the flower made him. Xanther had told him what had happened earlier with the weed. "You think you're really smart, don't you?"

"In this world, it's kill or be killed," he taunted, repeating the words he spat at them before. "So you were able to play by your own rules. You spared the life of a single person."

"Where are you going with this!?" Gem hissed, faux bravery welling up inside her. The flower didn't by in to her facade.

It laughed. It wasn't warm and bright like Gem's. It wasn't loud and all consuming like Fwhip's. Heck, it wasn't even hollow and empty like the last laugh they heard from Xanther.

This one felt slimy and gross, like it already knew everything it could possibly know about you, and was waiting for you to catch up. "I bet you feel pretty great. You didn't kill anyone this time. But what will you do if you meet a relentless killer?"

The sunflower grinned, warping its face to show sharp fangs. "You'll die and you'll die and you'll die."

"Shut up..." Fwhip grit out, hands balling into fists.

The flower cackled, savoring his anger. "Until you tire of trying. What will you do then? Will you kill out of frustration?"

The sunflower directed its gaze straight at Gem, who as of now had gone quiet, not wanting to give the flower the satisfaction of emotions. "Or will you give up entirely on this world... and let ME inherite the power to control it."

Fwhip felt something stir in his gut. What was this thing talking about? Its words sure didn't feel empty.

Fwhip turned to his sister. "Gem, what's this weed talking about? Power to control what?"

Gem paled, fingers wrapping around her backpack straps. "It- it was an accident! I made a fluke with my plan and... and... you..."

And what...?

What happened to him...?

"Hee hee, looks like she didn't tell you the whole truth, huh?!" Oh, that bastard, riling him up so he grows distant from Gem. He'll find out the truth later, for now, he has a weed to deal with.

"I am the prince of this world's fut- ACK-!" The flower squawked as Fwhip kicked at it. It disappeared underground, reappearing a good distance away. "How rude!"

"I'll teach you 'rude' when I tear off your petals, one by one!" Fwhip growled, not taking his eyes off the plant. Gem tugged at his sleeve. She shook her head.

Don't stoop to their level.

Fwhip growled, but backed off.

The flower recovered quickly. "You might just be useful yet, boy. Don't you worry my little monarchs, my plan isn't regicide. This is so much more interesting..."

Gem could feel Fwhip tense again, and she knew if she didn't hold him back, he'd only be proving the flower right.

The flower left, tunneling through the earth in the same fashion it arrived.

Gem let herself relax. He was gone, for now.

Fwhip turned to her, a pained expression forming. "Gem... what happened to me...?"