15: Not So Selfless

ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ-

Hermione was an only child, an only child that was polite and excelled academically. Naturally, she was adored. So at a very young age, she grew used to getting everything that she wanted.

But of course she knew better than to act like some spoiled brat that obsesses over Lululemon. But her selfishness applied in different situations, like group projects and science fair's which require a team. She disliked sharing the credit, even if they contributed as much as Hermione did.

She'd then fail to set aside her attitude. She was never really a team person, so she was glad that the senior's were assigned to participate in the one-mile run rather than the relay race. ( Ps, she couldn't run to save her own life but oh well, can't be good at everything ).

"Why don't you go to the library and find a book on how to run?" suggested Ginny as an exhausted Hermione plopped down on the ground of the track right next to her. Harry snickered in agreement.

"I didn't do that bad." insisted Hermione defensively as she watched groups of sophomore's stand, making their way to the track for the relay race.

"Maybe (Y/N)'s ego and delusions are contagious." remarked Ginny with a look of disbelief. Hermione's cheeks flushed red at the mention of the jock, attempting to busy herself by watching the sophomores.

"I thought the junior's are going to swim? Don't tell me that we all have to move inside after this." spoke Harry, shuddering at the thought of a bunch of sweaty teenagers gathered up in a closed space with no fresh air.

"You're acting as if you stinky jocks don't tolerate each other. Anyways, the whole swim thing is cancelled, they'll run a mile like us instead."

She decided to leave the fact that she cancelled it for her junior's sake.

"We do not stink." insisted Harry in his best matter-of-fact tone. "If we did, Mione wouldn't have heart eyes for (Y/N), her breaking point with Ron was when he refused to put on deodorant, no?— ow! Blimey, Hermione!"

Hermione had given him a harsh slap at the back of his head.

"If you guys don't shut up about her.."

"We're just trying to find a way for you to stop third-wheeling us all the time." teased Ginny, earning her a groan of exasperation from the latter. "It'd be cute, you know. Two cheerleaders and their jock boyfriends. We're like those people in highschool romcoms."

"You watch too many romcoms." groaned Hermione.

Ginny snickered. "Ginny Weasley?" called out the coach as he took the attendance, she raised her hand up. "Someone's missing from you lot." he spoke to the seniors. "I counted you all and we're a number down."

"Jennie Kim's over there with the juniors." spoke up a senior, Rosé. Hermione's eyes darted off to her left side where the juniors sat feets away. Her heart dropped to her stomach at the sight of a specific junior conversing fondly with non other than the missing senior.

Hermione began to curse under her breath. Perhaps she shouldn't have listened to (Y/N) when the jock suggested her to wear a turtle-neck. She could've gone to school sporting purple lovebites plastered all over her neck for everyone to see. She could've shoved it to Jennie's face and ramble about who gave them to her.

No. That's wrong. Hermione knew that it takes two people in a relationship. She knew that she didn't need to feel jealous or scared of Jennie taking her precious junior away, because (Y/N) wouldn't let that happen as long as she reciprocated Hermione's feelings, right?

Sure, Jennie liked (Y/N) alot. But nothing would happen if the latter didn't like her back, obviously. It was logical, Hermione knew that.

But despite feeling assured, she still couldn't ignore the uncomfortable turns her stomach did.

"You know, if you wanna reserve (Y/N) for yourself, you could just—" teased Ginny, noticing the sour look on the latter's face, whose eyes were glued on the junior and senior.

Hermione replied with a huff as she stood up, walking over to the pair. "Hey, Jennie, do you mind if I borrow (Y/N) for a minute? Coach told me to inform her about some stuff." she made up wildly, ignoring the amused look on the jock's face, (Y/N) clearly saw past her bullshit.

"Sure." replied Jennie, allowing the jock to follow the cheerleader, looking like a pup following it's owner.

"I can smell your jealousy from here." teased (Y/N) with a ruffle of her hair, earning her an eye roll from the latter. "If you're seriously jealous—"

"I'm not jealous." insisted Hermione, turning around to face the jock with a determined look on her freckled-face. "I just haven't gotten the chance to talk to you since we're in seperate groups. But Jennie got to, so technically means I have the right to take my turn."

"Right." hummed (Y/N) with an amused smile. "Like we totally did not spend the whole day together yesterday and stayed in a call at night. Seems like you enjoy hogging all my time, Granger." she teased as she brought her hands to the senior's waist, pulling her in as her back hit the fencing, leaning against it as she pulled in the smaller girl.

"Bit selfish, no?"

"I never said thaf I was selfless." remarked Hermione defensively with a huff. "Plus, If I was selfish, I'd be way worse than this."

"How so?" queried (Y/N) curiously.

"I'd want you all for myself and I'd force you to tattoo my name on you so everyone would get the hint." responded Hermione half-jokingly. She melted into the embrace, and she knew that she was wrong for doing so, since they were still in school grounds, so anyone would be able to spot them.

But maybe she would've welcomed it, if it meant that she'd have her junior all to herself.

"So," spoke (Y/N) suddenly. "Do you wanna have your name in your handwriting?"

ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ-