CHAPTER 6 ── ✦✮⋆˙

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎ 

As the sun rose to signal the morning next day, Mary opened her eyes and got up to a sitting position yawning. She finally succumbed to sleep yesterday when the forest sprites and other magical creatures accompanied her, providing warmth in the cold evening.

She washed her face in the clear stream of water coming from a small spring nearby then looked to her right where a yellow pixie was floating, staring at the redhead with curiosity.

"Thank you for being with me last night and do not worry, I am already okay" A reassuring smile graced the redhead's lips to ease whatever thoughts were running in the pixie's head.

It was effective though as the pixie made a nodding gesture of its cute tiny head and nuzzled Mary's cheek. The creature spoke in a small, cute voice of a different language but Mary had no problem understanding it.

There was a sound heard above treetops that drew their attention in, Mary quickly found a stunning snow owl that flew and landed down on a boulder across from her. There was no doubt who this pet belonged to. With a quick nod of its head, the owl moved its left wing and a white feather fell which transfigured into an equally white parchment tied with a gray ribbon.

Mary took the parchment, untying the smooth ribbon with one hand, and glanced at her pixie companion with a smile. "This is from Snowdrop, I haven't heard from her since she graduated...it's nice to receive any sort of updates either from her or Inky" When she first came to Night Raven College, she didn't only form a close bond with Riddle and everyone at Heartslabyul, there were also these two girls she didn't expect to be very close with.

'Snowdrop' was a year ahead of her and graduated earlier along with Cater and the Leech Twins from Octavinelle. Whereas 'Inky' also graduated the same year as Snowdrop but both girls ventured in two different paths after.

"Alright, let's see what Snowdrop got for us" Mary opened the parchment, giddy and momentarily forgetting about her problem, and began to read it with her eyes alongside the pixie.

...

Hi Red,

I apologize it took me a year to send you a letter, I hope you didn't think I forgot you. Things are quite complex here but need not worry, this is only a work-related trip. I am going to tell you more...soon when I return. Jade has been patient throughout our travel, I appreciate him a lot and to make it up to him I told him we could go on a casual date this weekend.

Currently, we are in Wisteria, it's a faraway kingdom but as I said, don't be too curious or worried, Red.

I also received a message from Inkwell, she said it was harder to send a message from Cradle to Wonderland than Wisteria so she requested I tell you as well that she misses us, and she will get you more pretty dresses on her return.

I hope you are well and don't do anything too brave or impulsive.

With love,

Your Snowdrop

...

As Mary was done reading the letter, many question marks popped above her head and she wondered why her friends were traveling in far places which she wasn't familiar with. Where is Cradle and Wisteria? What are they doing there? But one thing, the redhead would not tell them about the situation in the village and the roaming mad killers in the area.

The pixie floating next to her frowned in worry and Mary looked at it, carefully touching its head. "I won't do anything foolish as promised to Snowdrop but...I will do something"

---

The abandoned Clock Tower in the heart of the woods. This was the meeting place stated in the letter Mary got from the forest sprite. Mary barely goes to this part because one it was far from the village and two, she wasn't familiar with whatever was roaming here. But today she ventured and endured the stirring uneasiness and tried not to be skittish.

Leaning against the tower was the man with white hair and sinister red eyes, he was possibly taller than the man she and Grim fought against back in the agency. Up close, Mary concluded she both feared and despised him.

"A secret rendezvous early in the morning with a pure, innocent maiden" The white-haired stranger declared shamelessly.

Mary furrowed her eyebrows in discomfort and disgust. She stood at a good distance from him and tried to speak in an unshaken voice. "Where is Riddle and Grim?"

"No introductions, little Red?" He taunted playfully, pushing off the wall.

It felt repulsive to hear that endearment from the lips of this deranged guy, only Snowdrop could refer to her by that nickname. "Please refer to me as Mary and nothing more" She exhaled, subtly shaking at the crawl of anxiety.

A raised brow and amusement danced in those red eyes. "Mary, huh? Yes, I do know your name, but I merely wished to hear you say it. It was not hard to know because Riddle never failed to mention you and has countless pictures of you in his device." He pulled a phone out which got Mary gasping.

Mary was itching to snatch it from him, "How did you get that?!" Never mind, that was a stupid question to ask right now. "Give it to me!"

"Won't you ask for my name, little Red?" He grinned deviously, breaking the phone with one hand and enjoying the sudden look of hurt on Mary's face. "I have to do this, it's annoying to go through his messages and album seeing how much he loves you"

Tears sprang up in Mary's eyes as Riddle's phone fell into junk pieces on the grass. "I wouldn't want to know your name, it's enough to know that you are a hostile person. Now tell me where Riddle and Grim are"

He walked forward, closer to Mary until they were only centimeters apart, "William Rex, my fair red maiden" His tone was husky and ragged, still smiling. "I will make you remember it longer than your so-called boyfriend"

Mary swallowed hard, she refused to look away despite the agitation of being so close in his presence and those eyes were causing her to tremble. "How can I get them back?" Her voice almost shattered.

"Rex, enough" Ellis showed up, emerging around the tower. He didn't look too pleased for his colleague taking this long. "Victor is expecting her today in the office, stop playing" His indigo-blue eyes regarded Mary for a bit, and he shook his head as a thought crossed his mind.

---

A young woman sat alone in a messy room, everywhere one would see crumpled papers of unfinished drawings, and some were purposely destroyed. Paint, crayons, and pencils were thrown as well. It was chaos.

Her fingers were already aching, calloused, and covered in various colors because of the chalks and pastels she held constantly. The canvas before her was a swirl of abstract colors, intense and going out of line.

"AAAHHH!!!" With overwhelming frustration, she tore the canvas and kicked it, ending up like all the artwork in her room. She dropped to her knees and began rocking back and forth while sobbing loudly.

It was no use, despite going through a week without sleep and working every second to craft her art, she couldn't make it perfect.

Her onyx dark eyes glanced at a picture frame in the corner, it was a large frame and the only one not hanging on the wall. It was also covered with a black cloth.

'No matter what you do, there is no escaping your fate, you will end up like him, isn't it fantastic?' That sultry yet remorseless voice. She felt no conscience putting her in this predicament. Who is going to save her?