CHAPTER 16 ☆→★→☆

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Echoing voices, filled with agony and cries for help. There was wanting in those shattered choruses, all wishing the same thing–to be freed from the glass jar they were put in.

Mary stood in the middle of an endless void, surrounded by floating jars filled with an unidentified matter moving like a slime. How could she hear these things? Why did it make her heart clench with both worry and fear?

"This is your fault..."

"Help us..."

What was she supposed to be accountable for? Nothing made sense.

The redhead stepped back and made a run to avoid the floating objects but she was stopped by black shadows coming from the ground, it tangled around her legs. Just like the contents of the jar, these ominous shapeless shadows let out eerie hums.

Mary turned teary, struggling to be released. "Riddle! Grim! Help me!" She called her clammy and cold hands trying not to touch the gripping black tangles on her limbs. "Snowdrop! Inky!" She then tried again.

But nothing, no miraculous twist of light and rescue came. She was already shrinking within the bottomless pit of black under her. Mary tried wriggling out of the black tentacles wrapped around her body now, she reached both hands up and prayed for someone to appear and save her.

Someone did.

A hand held Mary's and brought her up from the restless shadows–but this person, no this young woman, she wasn't familiar–taller with rich long purple hair and those narrowed eyes, it was the same with Vernie, heterochromia but unlike the latter, this girl's eyes of electric blue and magenta were lackluster. It only held contempt.

"I am going to eliminate you." The female stranger was swift, driving a dagger to Mary's chest before any reaction or question could be raised.

.

Mary rose up from the bed, panting and sweating coldly. She was pale, wide-eyed, and unnerved, giving in to her impulse to look for an anchor she did the first thing that came to mind–tackled the person sitting across the bed and hugged him.

This action was enough to make Ellis freeze and unable to formulate any proper response except for having a huge question mark, his expression sculpted with disbelief. He was certain if William saw them like this, he would kill him without a blink. But Ellis then realized, Mary was shaking and sobbing–her face buried on his neck and he felt the warm wetness coming from her eyes.

It's a good thing Elbert already left minutes ago.

"Mary? Do you want to talk about it?" He wasn't good at this stuff but if he wanted to know what suddenly brought this on. "I am sure you won't just hug me without a reason"

Mary sniffled, crying in silence before talking, "Dreams that didn't make sense again..." She actually stopped having puzzling dreams after graduation.

"Dreams are not always manifestations of our subconscious, there are times it's made up of metaphors that describe something either hidden or forgotten" Ellis explained, he wrapped his arms carefully, soothing her back up and down. "If it keeps on coming back then it must have meant a thing"

Slowly lifting her head up, Mary noticed the subtle marks on Ellis' neck, it was like a tattoo–a branding with a thin glow. "Does this hurt? You have a scar on your neck." She finally pushed herself up and was at a decent distance from the male.

Ellis also got up, sitting on the bed, and touched the branding scar. "It doesn't hurt but this is a symbol that means we are tied to this organization and Her Majesty" He noticed the confusion as she tilted her head. "Her Majesty is the one funding Crown Organization and mastermind behind the goal of acting villains to defeat villains. Let's just say if there are places too corrupted and awful to be at, we are the expendables to be deployed there"