CHAPTER 14 ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆.

˚ ༘ ೀ⋆。˚˚ ༘ ೀ⋆。˚˚ ༘ ೀ⋆。˚

A deafening silence fell over the small break room at the back of the bookshop after Christie explained everything to Rio–by that, she meant literally. She planned to alter some parts but it was impossible to not be truthful to the man who had been by her side and greatly supportive since she was back in her home Rhodolite–Rio was even more around than her older sibling, Gilbert.

Now that the can was spilled open, worry contorted on Christie's face. Her ebony eyes stared intently at Rio, waiting with prolonged anxiety. "Rio...?" Please say something.

The snacks and tea prepared on their table were left half untouched, Christie dropped the biscuit she was holding between her fingers. This silence was making it difficult to breathe.

Rio's chair let out a sound as he stood up, he walked around and enveloped the female brunette into a hug, his hands spread on her back–the warmth seeping in. "I'm sorry..."

Huh? He was apologizing? Christie was baffled, "Why? I thought you'd be mad at me" The warmth from their proximity made a pink blush bloomed on her cheeks.

"I could never..." The serious look Rio had was so uncharacteristic he might be mistaken as a clone or twin of himself. "Your well-being tops the list of my priorities, Christie, no one else is most important" He pulled away so he could see her face but Rio didn't release her. "We've known each other since we were kids, I'd never think you joined a notorious organization out of entertainment to hurt individuals; if I may, this queen who funded Crown sounds so suspicious and she never showed her face yet? I'm sorry but I do not like her already, she came at such a momentous timing–after you got into a heated fight with Gilbert and left devastated, your emotions were erratic then, she is feeding from your hurt"

His words were a splash of cold water on Christie's eyes, it snapped a part of her head that gave clarity. "...you're right" Now that Rio mentioned it, she would constantly hear the queen's voice in her head, she was a strong influence and also the reason for her drive to hurt Mary and Riddle.

"Mary works here as a babysitter," Rio added, a small smile playing on his face. "A hard worker indeed, she always says...she doesn't want to burden her father and significant other, and having a job is a step for her to show them that she doesn't have to be protected all the time." He chuckled lightly, as if fond of some memories he already had with the redhead. "I don't know what she went through last year or why she's so adamant in being independent but what I am sure of? You will get along with her, my fair lady"

His heart almost jumped out and broke into pieces for thinking he was late, but thank god he wasn't. William saw it or whatever this ghastly creature was called–it didn't have a definite figure, pure black shadow bearing sharp talons and empty gray holes and an equally empty manic smile sketched on its face–it was ominous, an ideal image meant to terrify children.

This ghastly creature was looming over a sleeping Mary on the ground, its poison-induced talons were only inches from piercing through the woman's skin. William wasted no time, his anger was a fuel that pushed him forward to show why he has been regarded as an intimidating Crown member.

He stood in front of the clueless redhead, his eyes narrowed in contrast to the smile his lips wore. "Nice try, old hag, but you're not getting through me" His fencing sword was gripped with one hand. "No wonder we cannot see you," Scoffed, "You are one with the shadows"

A warped feminine laughter from the ghastly figure and it spoke. "Keen as expected, Rex, you never fail to impress me and you also surprised me by going against what I instructed to be done. Have you gone mad?"

The white-haired male remained smug, "Perhaps the strings you attached on my arms and back are not strong enough so here is your marionette, about to slice you to ribbons"

There was a sound of shifting from behind, it also made the ghastly figure grin–revealing hollow gray only in what appeared to be its mouth. "My prey is awake"

"William...?" Mary was groggy from the sleep she had, rubbing her eyes but it quickly widened in terror and froze her halfway upon seeing the ominous shadow before them.

From their enemy, long and sharp appendages sprouted from its sides, attacking them. William cursed under his breath as the attacks were more agile than earlier, he crouched down and covered Mary, caging her in his arms. He grunted as he got pierced multiple times on the back but he ignored the pain and forced himself up, taking off with Mary in his arms.

Numbing came next, William couldn't feel his legs anymore and his vision was starting to blur–I can't faint yet, I need to get us to safety...back in the mansion to tell Victor our queen is traitorous– William fell unconscious.

.

.

A soft touch against his cheeks, comforting. There was a soothing wind caressing his body, easing the soreness and ache that stacked up for the past days of fighting. He was always out in the field doing most dirty assignments, now the fatigue was catching up but whatever coolness blanketed over him was soothing his nerves and muscles.

William opened his eyes, seeing dusk sky; there were floating orbs of lights too, as if dancing around his vision and reachable stars. Some tiny creatures with wings regarding him, but they were too small for him to see that they were filled with curiosity.

And the familiar woman with red hair came into view, "Hey,"

He encased her wrist with a hand, pulling Mary closer until she was chest-to-chest with him. They stared at each other for a bit, noticing the subtle flusteredness that peppered her cheeks. It was amusing but William wouldn't voice that out of course. "You are one troublesome woman"

Mary scrambled away from him, she sat properly, smoothening the hem of her dress, and cleared her throat. "You're the one to talk"

William got up to a sitting position, he glanced down at himself, and raised a brow–his wounds were healed. "What did you do?" And he looked around, this was no regular forest, there were too many shimmering and odd-looking creatures here. Also, some flowers have faces.

"Not me," Mary replied, still having her back on him. "The sprites helped me carry you here and they nursed you back to health" As if on cue, floating leaves and petals formed human figures to wave at them casually before disappearing. "...thank you for saving me"

To her shock, William wrapped his arms around her, pulling her back against him. "Don't get me wrong, Little Red" He whispered hotly while his fingers trailed her chin down to her neck and collarbone. "I did it for my benefit not because of charity or goodness of heart" His lips neared her neck, nuzzling.

Mary swallowed hard and she felt strange in a good way which made her worry because these feelings should only be reserved for one man in her life. Yet, she couldn't find any energy to push William away. "Please stop this is improper"

"Do you think that matters to a villain, Mary?" Calling her by the name itself sounded foreign yet brought anticipation and thrill, William continued landing light, butterfly kisses on her neck and nape–all the while being witnessed by the pixies and brownies, some were blushing. "Villians are not prince charmings, I like abducting clueless maidens sheltered from the cruel reality who foolishly believe their love will never waver. I intend to change that"

Mary attempted to fend him off, "No, you must not...my heart only..." She didn't sound convincing, her gaze cast down.

"Riddle gatekeep you too much, what a cruel man he is" William smiled deviously as he tilted Mary's face to make her look at him. "...he truly wants your feelings to flow only for him, giving you no room to breathe and explore" His eyes glintered with satisfaction, despite her words of refusal, her body language was being earnest–she was no longer sure and this intense feeling was new to her.

"You're a cruel man, William"

"I know"

And their lips met in a kiss.