Chapter 8

Spencer's POV

The EMTs prepare to load Lauren into the ambulance as I see Will and JJ pull up. "Spencer what happened?" Will asks me with a worried look. "She had just got home. We were joking right befor-SPENCER!" Will interrupts me. "What happened to Lauren?" He asks me. "Someone shot her." I tell him and see his expression change to one of anger as a question pops into my mind. "W-What are you two doing here?" I ask them. "I work for the D.C police department, I was called on as a detective." He says. "Spence did you see who did this to Lauren?" JJ asks me and I shake my head frantically. If I did I would probably kill them.

"No I was in my room when I heard the shots and by the time I got to her the culprit was gone." I explain and Will shakes his head. "Son of a bitch, I'm gonna kill them." He snaps as I see tears forming in his eyes. "I was coming to talk to her at work tomorrow. I was going to apologize for not telling her I knew what happened." He says as JJ consoles him.

One of the EMT's walks over to us. "Does anyone want to ride with her?" She asks us and Will nods. "Yeah, JJ if it's okay with you. I'll ride with her and Spencer can ride with you." He suggests and JJ nods in agreement. Will makes his way over to the ambulance, climbing in.

"We need to let the team know." JJ says. "I know. Who's going to tell Hotch?" I ask and she shrugs. "Spence do those security cameras work?" She asks me pointing to the upper right corner of the building. "Yes and so do the ones in the doorbells outside residents apartments." I tell her. "I'll let Will know what we're doing, you alert the team." She tells me and I follow her to her car.

--

Will's POV

I sit in the waiting room, waiting to hear any updates on Lauren's condition. She went into surgery as soon as we arrived. JJ and Spencer are checking the security cameras around the apartment building to see if they can find anything.

"Will." I hear and look up to see Agent Hotchner. "What's going on? Spencer left me a voicemail saying Lauren was shot." He says and I nod. "She was, inside her apartment. The one place she deserved to feel safe." I state.

"I dropped her off at the apartment." He says and I scoff. "All I'm saying Agent Hotchner is if you want to be with her, be with her. If you don't, don't. It's as simple as that." I tell him truthfully. "I told her I loved her before I dropped her off." He tells me and I don't know how to respond. "After I hear something I'm heading down to the station to work on the case. Someone should be with her when she wakes up." I tell him and he nods. "It was a federal agent, so it's a federal investigation. Use the team. If anyone can find them, it's the team. I'm going to stay here with her." He states. "Yes sir." I say. A Doctor walks out from the back room and I walk past Hotch to speak to her.

"Are you with Lauren Fanning?" She asks and we nod. "The bullets knicked her intestine. Other than that they didn't hit any major organs. There were two points of entry but no exit wounds." She tells us and I see Hotch sigh in relief closing his eyes for a minute. "Is she gonna be alright Doc?" I ask her praying that she's okay. "It was touch and go there for awhile. We managed to stop the bleeding. She should make a full recovery." She explains. "Can we see her?" Hotch asks the Doctor. "She's still resting, but she is allowed visitors." She tells us.

"I should head to the station then." I tell Hotch and he nods. "I'll call JJ when she wakes up. Keep me updated on the case please. I'll help in anyway I can." He tells me. "I will, thank you." I tell him.

--

Hotch's POV

1 Day Later

I sit by her hospital bed as she lays there. I moved her hair to where it was laying on her shoulders. That's how she wears it almost daily. I notice a slight wave to it, I assume she flat irons her hair everyday.