Chapter 3 (Part 3)

Jean's gaze swiftly follows the sound of the voice, landing on a blonde girl who appears to be in her third year. She calls out to his brothers, Bertie and George, with a friendly tone. Jean's eyes then shift to the long rectangular table where the girl is seated, surrounded by eleven other students. It becomes evident that the table is nearly full, with only two vacant seats remaining. A mixture of surprise and admiration fills Jean's thoughts as he realizes that in just an hour on the first day of class, Bertie and George have already formed connections with a dozen people.

"Bertie! George!" a boy's voice called out enthusiastically from the crowded table, his neck slightly craning to catch their attention.

     Bertie and George exchanged glances between Jean and their friends. Caught in the crossroads of indecision, they felt a wave of uncertainty passing over them. Their minds swirled with conflicting thoughts, almost causing a dull ache to form in their heads.

     The rising heat in their foreheads intensified—as if an invisible strap was tightening around their skulls, threatening to squeeze their brains. The weight of the decision felt heavy upon them, each option carrying its own set of consequences. A moment of hesitation simmered in the air, captured by the furrowed brows and the uncertain expressions on their faces.

"Yeah... that..." Bertie sighed, his voice loaded with resignation as he attempted to explain their predicament to Jean.

     Jean's gaze shifts between Bertie and George—and towards their group of friends. It is a difficult decision for him, torn between wanting his brothers by his side and recognizing the importance of their newfound connections. He understands that sacrificing his immediate happiness is necessary for their long-term fulfilment, even if it means temporarily being apart. Inhaling deeply through his nose, Jean smiles and tilts his head slightly.

"Go on," Jean said, a warm smile lighting up his handsome face.

Bertie's face lit up with a wide grin as he eagerly made his way towards his friends at the neighbouring table. "Yes!"

"Thanks, Jean! You're the best!" George expressed his gratitude with a beaming smile, following closely behind Bertie.

     Jean observed with amusement as Bertie and George made their way to a nearby table bustling with students. With an enthusiastic leap, they settled into their chairs, causing their trays to teeter precariously, nearly spilling their contents. Engrossed in animated conversation, laughter erupted from their wide-open mouths as they exchanged hearty pats on each other's backs, creating a jovial atmosphere that filled the air.

"Wow. Tough choice," Kevin thought.

Jean replied with a smirk, challenging Kevin's perspective. "Is it that tough?" he retorted playfully.

Kevin shrugged, his eyes resting as he playfully raised his eyebrows. "Well, for me, it certainly is. The mere thought of losing someone is unimaginable," he confessed. "But enough about that. Let's dig in, shall we?" Kevin suggested, grabbing his spoon and fork.

     Jean and Kevin eagerly plunge their spoons and forks into their delectable meals, savouring the mouthwatering aroma that permeates the air. The tantalizing scent of the dishes tickles their senses, heightening their excitement. They voraciously devour their food, indulging in every flavorful bite.

     The food's taste is so exquisite that Jean and Kevin find themselves almost forgetting to chew each morsel slowly. Just as Jean takes another bite, his sharp ears catch a distinct echo cutting through the bustling conversations within the cafeteria. The sound, though faint, stands out amidst the cacophony of voices.

The voice resonated, reaching Jean's ears, as it uttered the hurtful words, "Sit somewhere else; we don't need you."

     The words carried by the voice trigger an instinctive race of Jean's heart, an uncanny familiarity that evokes the feeling of having experienced it before. It is as if he stands on the precipice of a cliff, desperately clinging to avoid plummeting. Fury ignites within him, fueling a burning sensation in his heart while his brows furrow, creasing the skin between his eyes.

     Despite the unsettling words, Jean remains seated, his eyes scanning the cafeteria in search of the source. His efforts prove fruitless as he fails to pinpoint the origin, yet he persists, straining his eyes to scrutinize every corner. His chewing slows as his gaze wanders, capturing Kevin's attention and prompting him to take notice.

Noticing Jean's lack of concentration on his meal, Kevin raised an eyebrow curiously. "What's wrong?" he inquired, concerned by his friend's distracted demeanour.

Jean's gaze continued to dart around the room as he replied, "Nothing. I thought I heard something."

Suddenly, another voice resounded with a cruel remark, "Go somewhere else, loser."

"Oops! Alright! Hehe!" a masculine voice responded calmly, showing little concern.

"Shoo! Quickly!" a disdainful feminine voice scoffed, urging the person to leave.

"Alright! Alright! Geez!" the masculine voice retorted, slightly exasperated by the demand.

     As Jean's gaze lingers towards the left side of the cafeteria, he spots a boy being cast out from every table, rejected by every student. Despite standing at an equal height to most boys on campus, he seems isolated. The boy's hair, reminiscent of frothy waves and coiled tendrils, is as dark as the heartwood of a tree. His skin possesses a lustrous sheen, akin to a glistening pearl, with a deep chocolate hue, and his eyes shimmer like polished lapis lazuli, captivating and full of depth.

     Like any male student in the university, the boy dons a black tailcoat over a crisp white shirt and a matching cloud-white vest. His black trousers hug his legs, leading down to polished black shoes. As a second-year student, he sports a blue sash around his waist, accentuating his slender figure.