Chapter 11 (Part 3)

Jean fixes his gaze on the floor, his eyes unable to rise. But, once he regains the strength to lift his gaze, he glances into his adoptive father's alluring eyes. Jean stares at Oliver deeply, lost in thought, as he processes his contemplation.

     In turn, Oliver looks back at Jean in the eyes, giving him a tiny smile. As Oliver peers into his son's eyes, a thought forms in his mind, urging him to question him. Clearing his throat, Oliver leans in and gazes into Jean's brown pupils.

"May I know why you want to meet your mother suddenly? You've never mentioned her to me until now," Oliver asked nonchalantly, his deep voice enthralling.

Jean glanced at Kevin and Gabriel, seeing them looking back at him. Steadying himself with a heavy breath, Jean faced Oliver and answered, "Dad... I know you won't believe me, but..." He breathed in before venturing, "I think I'm receiving visions somehow."

Oliver raised a brow, and his lips straightened. Slowly, he smiled, and his golden eyes sparkled with fond memories and wisdom. "Oh, my dear son. I believe you have such ability. Everyone in this world has their own talent and powers, just as I have my elemental powers, like how you have those so-called visions," he stated.

"Really? You're saying I have powers, too?" Jean asked.

"Well, it's up to you to decide whether having visions is your power or not," Oliver replied with a smirk.

"..." Jean maintained his silence for a brief moment as he stared at his open palms. "I'm uncertain," he sighed.

"Verily, I tell you. I also once doubted myself, thinking that I possessed no capability to be like my ancestors. But now, look. I am like them. Correct?" Oliver said, smiling calmly.

"...Yes," Jean nodded.

"Then, what's stopping you from believing in yourself?" Oliver asked, raising his chin.

"...Honestly, I'm not sure," Jean replied, shaking his head lightly.

"Then, starting from today, believe in yourself," Oliver urged. He then asked, "Now tell me. Do you believe?"

Jean looked at Oliver in the eyes, and slowly, a smile tugged at his lips. "I believe," he whispered.

"And I, too, believe in you," Oliver whispered back.

     Jean's smile stretches from ear to ear as he exchanges tender gazes with his adoptive father. However, as a memory stumbles upon his head, his smile falters and turns into a solemn pout. Oliver notices the change in Jean's expression, causing his brows to arch with worry.

"Are you alright?" Oliver queried, staring at Jean in the eyes.

"I am... but... I wish to meet my mother soon," Jean replied, his voice shaky and faint.

"Perhaps your visions will reveal the day you'll meet her?" Oliver pondered aloud.

Jean's brows jerked up, with a hopeful glint in his eyes. "M-maybe...? I mean, it's a vision, after all. All I have to do is... just believe in myself," he said confidently.

"That's the spirit, son," Oliver beamed.

     Oliver grabs Jean's hands and holds them tightly, squeezing them with love and compassion. In response, Jean smiles at Oliver and gazes at his friends and brothers. Slowly, Oliver's hands loosen around Jean's palms and let go, yet his smile remains firm and resolute.

     Breathing deeply through his nose, Jean lowers his gaze and thinks deeply about the future. Though the thought brings a numbing ache to his head, Jean contemplates the moment he reunites with his mother. Sensing the urge to withdraw from the exhausting day, Jean glances at his adoptive father, Oliver, and clears his throat.

"Dad? May I be excused?" Jean asked politely.

"You may," Oliver nodded.

     Jean pushes his chair and rises from his warm seat, the chair gently scraping against the floor. With a subtle nod, he bids his temporary farewell to his friends, brothers, and adoptive father. He then turns towards the mansion's grand lobby and proceeds towards the grand staircase.

     As Jean excuses himself from the dining room, Oliver carefully studies Kevin's charming visage that seems to emanate a gentle breeze. Squinting, Oliver bends closer and peers directly into his fluffy, dark obsidian hair, sharp, sunstone eyes, small, pointy nose, and thin, rosy lips. Oliver knows he has met this familiar person before.

     Kevin's gaze wanders and lands on Oliver, and he notices him looking at him. With his face turning crimson, Kevin lowers his eyes and pulls his lips to the back of his cheeks. However, deep down within, he knows he is already familiar with the strikingly handsome man staring at him.