Chapter 6 (Part 2)

Jean, Kevin, Gabriel, Bertie, and George pass through the grand double door, crossing the threshold and entering the Gilded Chamber. With the stars reflecting in their pupils, they grin and take in the wondrous sight before them. They gasp in awe, admiring every golden surface of the hall as they walk forward.

"Wow, wow, oh my... wow..." Gabriel gasped.

     The grand empire chandeliers hanging on the lofty ceiling bestow a light glint upon the five boys' suits. Their black tailcoats, embellished with expensive threads, reach down their knees, contrasting against their cream waistcoats. Black trousers taper down their ankles, matching their polished black shoes that shine beneath the light.

     As the night is yet to start, the five boys enter the Gilded Chamber with charm illuminating their faces. Their hair, impeccably groomed and combed, blows against the air. Their eyes, sparkling like the cosmos, speak of their joy upon arriving as they witness the beauty of the chamber.

     As Jean stares at the Gilded Chamber, memories of his visions wash over him. It feels like he is a scorching fire, raging for the truth but being doused by the sight before him. Everything he has seen in his dreams is now in front of him, all becoming reality. The air feels oppressive and thick, prompting Jean to take a deep breath through his mouth.

     Proceeding forward, Jean, Kevin, Gabriel, Bertie, and George descend the grand staircase leading to the ballroom. Their eyes widen, and their mouths hang open as they gaze at the chamber. They then turn to their right and approach the mile-long table where the foods await.

"Ah! Food!" Bertie leapt forward, keen to see the array of foods before him.

"Oh, look, there's your favourite," Kevin whispered to Jean, smirking as he pointed his palm towards the plate of cupcakes.

"It's nice to know they have cupcakes here," Jean beamed, grabbing a cupcake, his tongue poised to lick the white icing.

As Jean, Kevin, Gabriel, Bertie, and George gathered beside the table, a feminine voice erupted from afar. "Bertie! George!" the voice called out.

As Bertie gobbled up an oyster, he heard the voice calling for him and turned his head in that direction. Immediately, he saw his friends waving at him. "Guys!" he grinned, placing the oyster shell back on its icy plate. Glancing at Jean, Bertie asked, "Uh! May George and I be excused?"

"Hm," Jean nodded.

Bertie's grin widened as he hurried towards his friends, traversing the chamber. "Yay!"

"Thanks, bro." George expressed his gratitude with a smile, placing a hand on Jean's shoulder before trailing behind Bertie.

Jean smiled and watched as Bertie and George joined their friends on the other side of the chamber.

"Hmm..." Kevin squeezed his eyes and placed his hands on his hips as he leaned closer to Jean's face.

"What?" Jean asked, giggling slightly.

"Why don't you try 'not' allowing your brothers to leave your side next time?" Kevin asked, his voice calm and steady as he smirked.

"Woah, that'll be harsh. Besides, why should I do that?" Jean shook his head, his brows arching with concern.

Kevin's smirk deepened as he stared deeply into Jean's eyes. "Hm." He let a deep breath pass through his nose, his eyes sparkling with admiration for Jean.

Jean smirked back at Kevin, but suddenly, he heard a loud pant. Raising a brow, he glanced at Gabriel and saw him sticking his tongue out. "What's wrong?" he asked.

Gasping for air, Gabriel responded, "Who knew this sauce was 'that' spicy!?" He pointed at the lamb covered with red sauce on his plate.

"...Oh. Oh! Let's..." Jean stammered, seeking a solution as his eyes darted around, his left brow rising.

"Let's get you something to drink," Kevin ventured, smiling.

Grasping glasses from the table, Jean, Kevin, and Gabriel stood before a glass container containing lemonade and poured themselves a drink.

Gabriel quickly swallowed his drink, his brows furrowing. "Wow, phew. I almost died," he joked. "I mean, I would really die if I sweat too much and look haggard because..." Gabriel glanced at Jean. "You know?"

Jean giggled. "Mhm," he nodded.

"What?" Kevin raised a brow.

"Oh, Gabriel is thinking of confessing to a girl," Jean revealed nonchalantly. "So, he has to look neat and tidy."

"Oh! Shush!" Gabriel gasped, his eyes widening.

"Oh? Truly?" Kevin asked with a smile.

"Heh, well, yeah," Gabriel answered, his bashful grin covering his face.

Jean looked around the ballroom, searching for Gabriel's object of admiration. "Where are you going to confess to her?" he asked, his eyes flitting around.

"Oh! When she makes a grand entrance, I'll kneel before her and confess!" said Gabriel.