Chapter 5

─────⋅˖ ݁𖥔.☁︎.𖥔 ݁ ˖⋅─────

Dawn's first light crept through the window, bathing Amren's room in a warm, golden hue. The quiet was soon broken by the estate stirring to life, distant voices and the clatter of morning routines echoing through the corridors, heralding a new day in the upper city.

A sharp rap on the door snapped Amren from her unintended rest. Her head shot up, a parchment amusingly stuck to her cheek. She pulled it off, grimacing as a wave of stiffness swept through her neck.

"Lady Amren, breakfast is ready, and your studies begin in an hour," a woman's voice, both respectful and assertive, called from beyond the door.

Groaning, Amren stretched, her body complaining about the night's uncomfortable posture. She rubbed her eyes, struggling to clear the fog of sleep, her mind reluctantly bridging the gap from dreams to reality.

Rising, her eyes swept over the chaos of her desk – the open tomes, scattered notes, and the quill askew. The remnants of her nocturnal pursuit stood in sharp contrast to the day's structured demands awaiting her. A sigh escaped her, a sense of entrapment enveloping her. The night's freedom, with its endless mysteries, now felt like a far-off dream, overshadowed by the day's encroaching duties.

At the window, Amren gazed at the awakening city. The upper city, with its meticulous beauty, stirred with a poised vitality. Yet, to her, it was a splendid prison, its elegance a facade hiding her deeper yearnings, far removed from the pristine gardens and polished exteriors.

Turning from the view, Amren readied herself for the day, casting off the remnants of her nightly endeavors, both physically and mentally. She entered her private bathing chamber, a haven of polished marble and gleaming fixtures, the water magically warmed to suit her family's standing.

In the bath, she allowed the warmth to cleanse her, erasing the ink stains from her skin and the weariness from her limbs. The steam enveloped her, creating a misty cocoon that momentarily shielded her from the external world.

After her bath, Amren returned to her room, her feet whispering across the cool floor. She approached her wardrobe, a grand repository of fashion that symbolized her family's status. But today, she defied expectations, eschewing the vibrant hues and lavish styles typical of the upper city.

Her choice fell on black slacks, their fabric a harmonious blend of refinement and resilience, equally suited for the rigors of her dual life. A gray button-up shirt complemented the trousers, its muted tone resonating with her changeling essence. Tailored, it struck a balance between elegance and practicality, a sartorial embodiment of her identity.

A half cape, stopping at her elbows and with an upturned collar, completed the ensemble. It was a statement of subtlety, its simplicity contrasting the flamboyance of upper city fashion. This cape was both a concession to her societal role and a testament to her individuality.

Standing before her full-length mirror, Amren assessed her reflection. The composed, self-assured figure before her, draped in monochrome, mirrored her changeling nature. The grayscale attire was a visual cue of her adaptability and fluid identity.

In these clothes, Amren felt a surge of empowerment. They were her armor, enabling her to navigate the societal labyrinth while remaining authentic to herself. This attire represented a delicate balance between her life's obligations and her deep-seated desire for freedom and discovery.

With a final, affirming glance in the mirror, Amren collected her notes and books, stowing them in her satchel. Exiting her room, the soft click of the door marked the transition between her private sanctuary and the world outside.