Chapter 7

─────⋅˖ ݁𖥔.☁︎.𖥔 ݁ ˖⋅─────

As the sun began its descent, casting a golden hue over the training grounds, Amren arrived with a mix of anticipation and nervous energy. The area was quiet, a stark contrast to the bustling energy of the daytime. Her heart raced slightly as she surveyed the scene, a sense of both excitement and trepidation swirling within her. Varock stood there, a solitary figure among the shadows of the evening, exuding an aura of stern resolve.

Amren, always perceptive, noticed how the light played off Varock's scars, reminding her of the battles he had weathered. She pondered what lessons those scars could teach her. Varock, with his formidable presence, eyed Amren as she approached. "You're on time," he acknowledged gruffly.

The array of weapons laid out on the table caught Amren's eye, each one a silent promise of the skills she was eager to learn. She felt a pull towards them, an almost magnetic attraction. In her mind, she imagined wielding them with the same skill and precision she applied to her magical studies.

However, Varock's first lesson was not about weapons, but about the foundational skills of combat, revising her existing self-defense skills. "Before you even touch a weapon, you need to understand the basics of fighting. Balance, movement, awareness. These are the pillars of combat," he said, his voice firm and unyielding.

Amren's initial excitement waned slightly, replaced by a dawning realization of the seriousness and depth of the training she was undertaking. She had hoped to immediately connect with a weapon, to feel its weight and potential in her hands. Yet, Varock's approach was methodical, rooted in the essential principles that underpinned all forms of combat. She internally sighed, understanding the necessity but longing for the thrill of the blade in her grasp.

As the lesson progressed under the fading light of the day, Varock guided Amren through a series of grueling exercises designed to build her foundational skills in combat. Each movement, each stance he demonstrated, was precise and deliberate, emphasizing the importance of a fighter's relationship with their own body. Amren followed, her mind absorbing every detail, yet a part of her yearned for more—the arcane, the unknown.

Varock's approach to training was uncompromising, a reflection of his own experiences in the harsh realities of combat. For Varock, there were no half-measures in training, and this rigidity was evident in every command he issued, every correction he made. Amren respected his expertise, but a small, rebellious part of her wondered about the unconventional, the unexplored paths in combat, much like her approach to her magical studies.

"Focus, Amren!" Varock's voice was sharp, like the crack of a whip, as Amren attempted to mirror his stance once again.

His eyes, piercing and unrelenting, seemed to dissect her every movement, pinpointing flaws with unnerving accuracy. Amren felt the weight of his gaze, pushing her to refine every minor misalignment. "Combat isn't a parlor game. It's life or death. Every misstep, every moment of indecision, can be fatal."

Amren, pushing through the fatigue that was starting to set in her muscles, adjusted her stance. The soles of her shoes scraped against the gravel of the training grounds, her body tensed like a drawn bowstring. She felt a mixture of frustration and determination; Varock's intensity was a force unto itself, a relentless pressure that demanded excellence and total commitment.

As the sky darkened, casting long shadows across the grounds, Varock began to test Amren's reaction time and awareness. He moved with a suddenness that was disorienting, his large frame surprisingly agile.

"Anticipate!" he barked, as Amren narrowly dodged his feigned strike. Her heart pounded in her chest, adrenaline fueling her movements. "In battle, your enemy won't telegraph their moves. You need to read their intent, respond before they act!"

Each dodge and parry Amren made was met with either a grunt of approval or a curt criticism from Varock. There was no coddling, no soft words of encouragement. His training method was like tempered steel, designed to strengthen and harden. Amren found herself respecting his approach, yet a part of her craved acknowledgment, a sign that she was making progress.

Sweat beaded on Amren's forehead, her breaths coming in short, ragged gasps. The physical exertion was intense, but more so was the mental strain – the need to stay constantly alert, to anticipate and react in the blink of an eye. She could feel her mind sharpening, each decision becoming quicker, more instinctive.

"You're not here to dance, you're here to fight!" Varock's voice cut through her exhaustion. "Again!"

Amren's muscles screamed in protest, but she set her jaw and obeyed, throwing herself back into the exercise. Each movement was a battle, not just against Varock's relentless onslaught but against her own physical limits.

She pushed herself, driven by a deep-seated need to surpass these limitations, to become more than what she was. Her determination was unyielding, fueled by the knowledge that this training was not just about combat; it was about survival in a world that demanded strength and resilience.

Amren nodded, a silent vow of commitment. She understood the gravity of Varock's words. This was more than a routine; it was a dedication to a path that would demand everything of her – body, mind, and spirit. She felt the weight of this commitment, a mix of fear and exhilaration swirling within her.

Varock gave her a heavy pat on the shoulder, a gesture that spoke volumes. It was an acknowledgment of her efforts, a recognition of her as a trainee now under his tutelage. The touch, though brief, was a tangible connection to the new world she was entering. "Good night, Amren. Rest well. Tomorrow brings another challenge."

As Amren walked away from the training grounds, her body weary but her spirit ignited with a newfound determination, she felt a profound connection to the journey she had embarked upon. Every aching step was a testament to her resolve. The path of a warrior was arduous and fraught with challenges, but it was a path she had chosen with open eyes and a willing heart.

The night was quiet as she made her way back to her room, the estate seemingly asleep and oblivious to the transformation unfolding in its midst. The silence was a stark contrast to the turmoil of thoughts and emotions inside her. In the solitude of the night, Amren reflected on the training, on the journey ahead. She knew that the road would be long and demanding, but she was ready to face it head-on, fueled by a quiet, burning determination.

Reaching her room, Amren felt a sense of solace in its familiar confines. But even as she prepared for bed, the lessons of the night lingered in her mind, a constant reminder of the dual life she led – a scholar by day, a warrior in training by night. Her mind raced with the possibilities, the challenges, and the transformation she was undergoing.

In the quiet of her room, Amren closed her eyes, her body aching but her heart full of resolve. Tomorrow would indeed bring another challenge, but she was ready to meet it with the strength and determination she had found within herself. In the darkness, she embraced the journey ahead, knowing that each step would take her closer to becoming the person she was meant to be.

─────⋅˖ ݁𖥔.☁︎.𖥔 ݁ ˖⋅─────